CSS 263 - Programming and Discrete Mathematics

Fall 2009

Prof. Michael Stiber
stiber@u.washington.edu

This course introduces you to the idea of levels of abstraction in problem solving and software development. It does this in three ways: by introducing mathematical formalisms to model problems and manipulate possible solutions, by developing design strategies and patterns (algorithms and data structures) that are language independent, and by introducing you to a new object-oriented programming language (C++).

Announcements

November 17, 2009: Written homework 2 is now on the assignments page and our updated schedule is actually up-to-date.

October 25, 2009: Program 0 grades are up in the class grade book. Remember, I can't leave comments for you in the grade book software, so I've left them in Collect It, under your program 0 submission are. If you're not sure about anything relevant to program grading, now would be an excellent time to ask and remove all doubt!

October 12, 2009: I've updated our links to the left to include an additional online C++ reference, plus a link to a page written by Prof. Zander to help Java programmers move to C++.

October 11, 2009: If you've got an hour, check out a talk by Bjarne Stroustrup on "50 years of C++", at the ACM website (unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a direct link; right now it is the most recent video, but at some point you'll need to look around for it on that page).

September 30, 2009: I believe that everything on this web site is ready to go. Let me know if I'm mistaken. See you today at 1:15!

September 8, 2009: I've cleared out all of the old material from this site. There should be a lot of broken links.Stay tuned for the fall 2009 stuff.