CSS 450: Computer Graphics

Fall 2008

Room UW1 030, TR 5:45pm-7:50pm
Computing and Software Systems

University of Washington Bothell

Contacting Me:

Name

Kelvin Sung

Office Hours:

Thursday:  1:00-3:00 pm

Or by appointment

Phone

Email

(425)-352-5420

ksung@u.washington.edu

Office:

UW1-339

We will be learning:

In this class, we will introduce the hardware devices available to, review the mathematics related to the understanding of, and discuss the fundamental areas of, computer graphics in two-dimensional space. After this class, students are expected to understand the basic computer graphics terminology, concepts, algorithms, and be able to design and implement 2D interactive computer graphics related programs.

NOT GOALS: We are not here to learn DirectX, OpenGL, GLUT, FLTK, MFC (Microsoft Foundation Classes), C, C++, VC++, Windows Programming, etc. These are all specific applications!

GOALS: The primary goal of this class is to ensure that, given a standard 2D graphics API, students will be able to implement 2D interactive applications based on real life user requirements. Also covered in this class are the fundamental theories and algorithms behind implementing a standard 2D graphics API.

Prerequisites: CSS343 with a grade of C of better.

Grading:

Programming Assignments (4-5)

50-60%

Weekly Quiz

20%

Final Project

30-35%

Books

Required Text: 

·         Essentials of Interactive Computer Graphics, Kelvin Sung, Peter Shirley, Steven Baer, Wellesley, MA., A K Peters Ltd, 2008.

Optional Reference Texts:

·         Fundamentals of Computer Graphics, second edition, Peter Shirley, Wellesley, MA., A K Peters Ltd, 2005.

·         Programming Windows with MFC, second edition, Jeff Prosise, Microsoft Press, 1999.

Reference Texts:

·         Computer Graphics – with OpenGL, third edition, Donald Hearn and Pauline Baker, Prentice Hall, 2004.

·         Interactive Computer Graphics – A Top-Down Approach Using OpenGL, fifth edition, Edward Angel, Addison Wesley, Boston, 2008.

Schedule:

Week

Topics

Reading

Date

Note

1

Introduction

Event Driven Programming

Chap 1+2

Sep 25

Assign: MP #1

2

Graphics Programming

Working with Graphics API

Chap 3+4

Sep 30

Oct 2

Due: MP #1 (Part I)

3

MVC Framework

CCSC-NW Conference (no class)

Chap 5+6

Oct 7, 9

Due: MP #1 (All)

Assign: MP #2

4

Object-Oriented Programming

Chap 7

Oct 14, 16

Due: MP #2

Assign: MP #3

5

Transforming graphics objects

The D3D Matrix

Chap 8+9

Oct 21, 23

Due: MP #3

Assign: MP #4

6

Coordinate Transformation

The D3D Matrix Stack

Chap 10

Oct 28, 30

7

Hierarchical Modeling

Chap 11

Nov 4, 6

Due: MP4

Assign: MP5 + Final Project

8

Veterans Day (no class)

Catch up

Nov 11, 13

Due: Final Project Proposal

9

Texturing and Blending

Chap 12

Nov 18, 20

Due: MP #5

10

Final Project: Prototype Demo

Thanksgiving break (no class)

Nov 25, 27

Due: Final Project Prototype Demo

11

Final Project: Prototype Demo

D3D Texture Pipeline

Catch-up

Dec 2, 4

Due: Final Project Prototype Demo

12

Final’s Week

Starting at 5:45pm

Dec 9

Due: Final Project

Submitting Programming Assignments (MPs):

Submitting Source Code: You will submit your source code of each programming assignment (or machine problem, or mp) and I will run/test your submissions. We will be using the catalyst facility (refer to the course web-site for submission link). There is a folder with the corresponding mp number (and/or with Part-1) on the submission site (e.g. mp1-Part1, mp1, mp2, etc.). Before the due time of the assignment, you should:

·         Create a folder containing all the relevant source files of your mp and no more. Having extra useless/irrelevant files in that folder will results in lost credits. Please clean up both Debug and Release folders before you copy your files over. These folders can be huge and will take up unnecessary time/space.

·         WARNING: 3% of each mp’s grade will be deducted if your submission includes the contents of Debug or Release folders, or any useless files (e.g., .suo, .ncb, etc.)

·         Use your first and last name and mp# as the name of your folder. Please do not include blank space as part of the name for this folder (i.e. do use “KelvinSungMp1” as folder name, and do not use “Kelvin Sung MP1” with blank spaces.)

·         Please zip up our folder into one zip file.  Go to our course submission area and “turn in” you .zip file.

·         ***  Send yourself a digital receipt just in case something should go wrong. ***

·         Submit as many times as you wish, I will only look at the last one received before the deadline. Please do not submit hard copies of your program. Let’s safe some trees, I will look at your source code electronically.

There is a “Test Turn-in” assignment for you to try things out. Please do try it before the first MP due date! If I do not see a test submission and you have trouble submitting your first assignment at the last minute, I will not help you. I can only help those who tried.

In addition, and very importantly, you should always download your submission, un-zip/compile/run to ensure your submission is correct. Remember, the grader (and/or I) will download your submission, unzip, double-click on the .sln file to compile and run. You will lose credits if anything in your submission should prevent us from automating this process.

You are responsible to ensure that the files you submitted are correct. On the due date of the mp, the corresponding directory will be close at precisely the due time. After which, you will not be able to submit your work! I will not accept submissions via emails. You are responsible to ensure that the files you submitted are correct. Minor submission mistakes (e.g. missed a small .h file) will result in 10% deduction from the assignment. Major submission mistakes (e.g. forgot to include a major .cpp file) will be treated as in-complete assignment and you will get 0% for the assignment. On a case-by-case basis, I will decide if a submission mistake is minor or major. There will be no exceptions!

If there is an emergency and/or personal difficulty, please talk to me in person. Remember to document your code, and practice the good programming skills you learned in CSS 343.

General Policies:

Assignment Deadlines: There will be no late assignments accepted. I am actually a reasonable person, come talk to me about exceptional circumstances. You know the deadlines now please plan ahead.

Lateness to classes: It does not bother me, just don’t disturb anyone. If you want to leave early, it would be very nice if you could give me advance warning. If that’s too much trouble, or if you forget, don’t worry, just don’t disturb anyone and leave quietly.

Commitments and such: I am usually easy going. I like relaxed classrooms for learning and will try my best to create such an environment. Please do not confuse relax environment with relax requirements. I work hard, and expect students to work as hard. On average, each percentage of your assignments should represent one-two hours of outside-of-class time. For example, MP#1 worth 10%, so on average, you will probably need about 10-20 hours to finish this assignment. Please use this as a reference and let me know if you are spending too much time on the assignments. If most of you are experiencing the same problem, then we will have to adjust the amount of work. Please seriously consider if you have the time this quarter for this class. If you do have the time, please stay in this class, I will work hard and try my best to make this class a worthwhile learning experience for you.

Collaboration: You are expected work on your own for the first three programming assignments. Discussions of problems with fellow students are ok, provided you do not exchange algorithms, or copy code. You may always discuss any problem with me. You are expected to subscribe to the highest standards of honesty. Failure to do this constitutes plagiarism. Plagiarism includes copying assignments in part or in total, debugging computer programs for others, verbal dissemination of algorithms, and results, or using solutions from other students, solution sets, other textbooks, etc. without crediting these sources by name. Plagiarism will not be tolerated in this class, any more than it would be in the “real world”. Any student guilty of plagiarism will be subject to disciplinary action[1]. In the “real world”, you are responsible for the security of your intellectual properties. In our case, you are responsible for the security of your source code (either on public hard disk, or on printed copies). Remember to erase your work from all public hard disks, and to dispose the hard copies of your source code with care. If someone did not break any law, and has identical solution as yours, you are a suspect of plagiarism.

Group Assignments: Programming assignments 4, 5, and the final project are group assignments. You must form groups of 2 or 3 persons to work on these assignments. Please talk to me if you wish to form a 3-member-group and you will be responsible for proposing the extra features to justify the third member. If you choose to work alone, you will lose credits.

Policy for forming groups: Depending on your scores from the first two programming assignments and your weekly quiz scores, I will divide all students in class into 2 or 3 sets. You can form groups only with students from the same set. For example, if you are in Set-A and your best friend is in Set-B, then the two of you cannot form a group!

Problems

If you have any problem with this course, please talk to me as soon as possible.  I would like to help in any way I could, but I have to know there is a problem. If you fall behind in this class, it will be difficult to catch up.

Special Needs

If you believe that you have a disability and would like academic accommodations, please contact Disability Support Services at 425.352.5307, 425.352.5303 TDD, 425.352.5455 FAX, or at dss@uwb.edu. They will be happy to provide assistance. You will need to provide documentation of your disability as part of the review process.

[1] This paragraph is copied in its entirety from Dr. Michael Stiber’s CSSIE-450 syllabus from Autumn of 1998.