This is the information I received regarding departmental MATLAB licenses from Josh Larios on Jan. 7, 2014:

The CSS license for MATLAB covers 33 concurrent users, and includes the core, plus the following toolboxes: Neural Network, Optimization, Parallel Computing, Statistics. I'm updating the installation in the linux lab today, and it will definitely be available on all 16 machines there (uw1-320-00.uwb.edu through uw1-320-15.uwb.edu). Those machines are all remotely accessible with a command line via ssh, or with a graphical session by following the instructions at http://depts.washington.edu/cssuwb/wiki/using_tsvnc_to_connect_to_the_linux_lab.

The CSS license for MATLAB should also be installed on all the machines in the CSS Windows lab as well, but I think that they got a different license accidentally, and I need to put together an installation job to fix those. I expect they'll have the updated MATLAB with the correct license by the end of this week, though. Windows lab machines are not remotely accessible.

I strongly recommend you follow the instructions for setting up graphical sessions, as this will give you access to the wealth of interactive features in the MATLAB GUI.  In the first step you will download ssvnc, a utility for creating fast graphical connections to Linux machines.  When I downloaded the latest version for Windows, ssvnc_windows_only-1.0.29.zip, I got a complaint from Sophos, my anti-virus software, about a file called netcat.exe.  Another user of ssvnc posted that he got the same warning from his Symantec software.  As far as I can tell, there is no risk to using this file.  The latest version of ssvnc turns out to be identical to what we used two years ago in the course, and at that time it did not provoke anyone's anti-virus software or cause any other problems.  But proceed at your own risk.  There are other VNC utilities available.

I followed the rest of the instructions and opened a graphical session on uw1-320-10 from my 64-bit Windows Vista laptop.  Everything seemed to work exactly as described.  Once the graphical session is open, you can start MATLAB from the menu bar: Applications Menu > Development > MATLAB.