CUSP 124 - Calculus I

Winter 2007

Prof. Michael Stiber
stiber@u.washington.edu

This course develops modern calculus by investigating the questions, problems, and ideas that motivated its discovery and practice. We will study the real number system and functions defined on it, focusing on limits, area and tangent calculations, properties and applications of the derivative, and the notion of continuity. Emphasis will be placed on problem-solving and mathematical thinking.

Recent Blog Entries

February 28th, 2007: HW 7 changes

It has come to my attention that exercise 2.7:4 requires use of implicit differentiation, which we are not covering. So, please disregard 2.7:4; it will not be included in the grading of the assignment.

February 22nd, 2007: Homework 7

Homework 7 is now posted. Sorry about the delay; note that the due date has been adjusted accordingly.

February 16th, 2007: Algebra review and solved problems

On our text book's web site, there is a PDF file that reviews topics in algebra and has 160 problems with answers and detailed solutions. You can reach it by clicking on "Textbook Web" on our home page and then clicking "Other Resources" from the textbook web page (it's listed on the left as "Review Algebra", or you can get to the PDF file directly from this post's title.

February 13th, 2007: Schedule updated

Just a quick note to let you know that I've updated the schedule to reflect the material we covered today. As the quarter progresses, this will continue to occur. I want the rate of material coverage to be determined by you, not the textbook or me.

February 5th, 2007: Some additional math resources

I've been using it for such a long time, it didn't occur to me that some people might be unfamiliar with the Greek alphabet. Thank a fellow student for bringing this issue to my attention. And don't be timid about making points like this.

Also, there's no substitute for solving lots of problems if you want to move from "understanding the basic principles" to "being able to work problems easily". One good book you might try for this is Schaum's Outline of Calculus.