We are now accepting applications for the Winter 2017 Seminar! If you are a UW graduate student in a science or science-related field and want to become a part of Engage, click here to fill out an application!
Communicating Science to the Public Effectively (CENV 500)
3 credits (Credit/No Credit)
Meets Wednesdays 1:30-4:20 in Fish 203
This is a seminar, discussion-based course for graduate students in the sciences that focuses on effective techniques for sharing scientific research with non-specialists. At the end of the quarter, each student will present a 20 minute public talk on their graduate research to be delivered during the 2017 Engage: The Science Speaker Series at Town Hall Seattle.
In this course, students will:
– Develop and practice several analogies to distill their research
– Create a variety of concise research-promoting statements
– Practice story-telling and audience consideration
– Use improvisation as a public speaking tool
– Engage in weekly readings and discussions
– Hear from guest speakers on science communication
Space is limited to 15 students, and the course fills quickly, often with an extensive waiting list. Thus, we have an application process and an expectation agreement which must be completed for a student to be enrolled. The student application is available here, and must be submitted by October 31.
If you have any questions, please email Arjun Khakhar (email@example.com)