Writing Guidelines

• Paper Writing Guidelines
  • Writing about Literature

Paper Writing Guidelines

A (3.6 - 4.0):

An "A" essay presents a cogent, well-articulated discussion of an issue and demonstrates mastery of the elements of effective writing.

A typical paper in this category

• explores ideas and develops a position on the issue with insightful reasons and/or presuasive examples
  • sustains a well-focused, well-organized discussion of the subject
  • expresses ideas with languages that is clear and precise
  • varies sentence structure and vocabulary appropriate to the subject
  • demonstrates superior facility with the conventions (grammar, usage, and mechanics of standard written English

B (2.5 - 3.5):

A "B" essay presents a competent discussion of the issue and demonstrates adequate control of the elements of writing

A typical paper in this category

• develops a position on the issue with relevant reasons and/or examples
  • is adequately organized
  • expresses ideas clearly
  • demonstrates adequate control of language, including diction and syntax, but may lack sentence variety
  • demonstrates adequate control of the conventions of standard written English but may have some flaws

C (1.5 - 2.5):

A "C" essay presents a weak discussion of the question and demonstrates little control of the elements of writing

A typical paper in this category exhibits one or more of the following characteristics:

• is unclear or seriously limited in presenting and developing a position on the issue
  • is unfocused and/or disorganized
  • provides few, if any, relevant reasons or examples
  • has serious and frequent problems in the use of language and sentence structure
  • contains frequent errors in grammar, usage, or mechanics that interfere with meaning

Writing about Literature

Ten Questions to Ask Yourself

1. Title: Is the title of my essay at least moderately informative?
    2. Thesis argument: What is my thesis? Do I state it soon enough and keep it in view? Does my conclusion refer to the thesis argument? Is the thesis supported with evidence from the text(s)?
    3. Organization: Is the organization of the paper reasonable? Does each point lead into the next, without irrelevancies and without anticlimaxes? Did you pay attention to transitions that lead you reader from point to point?
    4. Paragraphs: Is each paragraph unified by a topic sentence or topic idea? Are there adequate transitions from one paragraph to the next?
    5. Evidence: Are generalizations supported by appropriate concrete details, especially by quotations from the text?
    6. Opening paragraph: Is the opening paragraph interesting and, by its end, have I focused on the topic? Did I include my thesis statement at the end of the opening paragraph? Is the concluding paragraph conclusive without being repetitive?
    7. Tone: Is the tone appropriate? No sarcasm, no apologies, no condescension? Did I have my reader in mind when drafting my paper?
    8. Style: Are the sentences concise, clear, emphatic? Are needless words and inflated language eliminated?
    9. Quotations: Are the quotations accurate? Is documentation provided where necessary?
    10. Spelling: Are spelling and punctuation correct?