Dante, Divine Comedy Paradiso Canto XIV  Dante meets his great-great-grandfather, Cacciaguida in Heaven

Cacciaguida:"O blood of mine! O overbrimming grace of God!
         For whom was ever heaven’s gate / Thrown open twice, as it has been for you?" 

Dante:        "I do, however, beg you....To satisfy my longing with your name."

Cacciaguida:

"O leaf of mine, in whom I found my pleasure /Only awaiting you: I was your root." ....

"The man from whom your family name/ Comes down, and who a hundred years or more
          Had trudged around the first ledge of the mountain [of Purgatory]

"Was my son, and your own grandfather’s father. / Surely it is right that you should shorten
          By your good works his long laborious trial. [Merits can be applied to ancestors in Purgatory.]

"Florence within her ancient rounded walls
          From which she still hears tierce and nones toll out [church bells marking 3rd & 9th hours]]
          Lived in peace, her people chaste and sober.

100     "There were no necklaces, no coronets,/ No lace-embroidered gowns, no silken girdles,
          Meant to be looked at rather than the person.

"Nor did the daughter at her birth yet cause/ Fear to her father, for her age and dowry /
105     Had not run to excesses either way.

"No houses stood vacated by their families [i.e., there was no failure to produce male  successors].
          No Sardanapalus had yet arrived [Persian king, symbol of corruption, luxury, homosexuality]
          To show what can many things can be done in one’s bedroom.

"I saw Bellincione Berti [Florentine noble]  wearing/  Simple bone and leather, while his wife
          Stepped from her mirror with her face unpainted.

115     "I saw the lords of Nerli and of Vecchio [Florentine noble]  
          Content to wear a coat of plain-dressed skins,
/  And their wives ply the spindle and the flax.

"O happy women, each of them assured /  Of her own burial spot, and none abandoned
120     Yet in her bed because of trips to France! /  "Each one kept a constant watch to mind the cradle
          And soothingly employed that infant speech /   Fathers and mothers first delight in using.

"Another, as she drew threads from the distaff [spindle],
125     Would tell her family household the old stories
          Concerning Troy and Rome and Fiesole [first town conquered by Florence]

130     "To such a restful and a lovely life /  Among the citizens, to such a loyal
          Community, to such a cordial home,

"Mary presented me, called by loud prayers:
          And I became, in your old baptistery [San Giovanni, central building of Florence]
135     At once a Christian and a Cacciaguida.

"I later served the Emperor Conrad, / And with his knighthood he invested me,
          So highly I won favor by good deeds./  "I followed him to fight against the evil
          Religion [Islam] of those people who usurp,
          By your shepherd’s [the Pope’s] negligence, your rightful lands [Holy Lands, Jerusalem].

145     "There finally falling to that filthy horde [Cacciaguida died in the Crusades],
          I gained release from that deceitful world, /   The love of which debases many souls,

"And to this peace I came from martyrdom [that is, dying on the Crusade].