Annotated Passage Analysis  

Home

Critical Analysis

Annotated Links and Credits

English 200 Web site

University of Washington Web site

About me

Email me

Circular Image of Zora Neale Hurston Passage from Chapter 13:

Just before day the party wore out. So Tea Cake hurried on back to his new wife. He had done found out how rich people feel and he had a fine guitar and twelve dollars left in his pocket and all he needed now was a great big old hug and kiss from Janie.
            “You musta thought yo’ wife was powerful ugly. Dem ugly women dat you paid two dollars not to come in, could get tuh de door. You never even ‘lowed me tuh git dat close.” She pouted.
           “Janie, Ah would have give Jacksonville wid Tampa for a jump-back for you to be dere wid me. Ah started to come git yuh two three times.”
            “Well, how come yuh didn’t come git me?”
             “Janie, would you have come if Ah did?”
             “Sho Ah would. Ah laks fun just as good as you do.”
             “Janie, Ah wanted tuh, mighty much, but Ah was skeered. Too skeered Ah might lose yuh.
            “Why?”
             “Dem wuzn’t no high muckty mucks. Dem wuz railroad hands and dey womenfolks. You ain’t usetuh folks lak dat and Ah wuz skeered you might git all mad and quit me for takin’ you ‘mongst ‘em. But Ah wanted yud wid me jus’ de same. Befo’ us got married Ah made up mah mind not tuh let you see no commonness in me. When Ah git mad habbits on, Ah’d go off and keep it out yo’ sight. ‘Taint mah notion tuh drag you down wid me.”
            “Looka heah, Tea Cake, if you ever go off from me and have a good time lak dat and then come back heah tellin’ me how nice Ah is, Ah specks tuh kill yuh dead. You heah me?”
            “So you aims tuh partake wid everything, hunh?”
            “Yeah, Tea Cake, don’t keer what it is.”
             “Dat’s all Ah wants tuh know. From now on you’se mah wife and mah woman and everything else in de world Ah needs.”

Comments:
all he needed now was a great big old hug and kiss from Janie.
Tea Cake enjoys showing affection to Janie. The novel does not mention of Joe or Logan hugging or kissing Janie, meaning that these marriages are not about love, but instead the marriages are about having the wife be more like a trophy or possession. Tea Cake and Janie showing affection towards each other makes their relationship unique and meaningful.. Back to top.

She Pouted.
Janie is a bit hurt because Tea Cake did not come to get her. She is giving Tea Cake a guilt trip, saying that since Tea Cake is not allowing "ugly women" to enter the party, then she must be extremely ugly since her husband does not even invite her. Janie is sad because she figures that her husband would want her to go out and have fun with him, but instead he is having fun without her. Janie wants to spend time with Tea Cake, whereas with her other husbands, she does not need that. Back to top.

"Ah was skeered. Too skeered Ah might lose yuh."
Tea Cake is showing some vulnerability and insecurity of losing Janie. He really loves her so he is scared that she might leave him if he offends her by asking her to hang out with common people.  Back to top.

"Ah made up mah mind not tuh let you see no commonness in me."
This sentence shows that Tea Cake is worried that he is not good enough for Janie because he calls himself "common" and sees Janie as a high class women. Tea Cake is under the impression that Janie enjoys being on a high chair since that is her role while married to Joe and does not know that Janie would rather be included in the community.  Back to top.

As mentioned in the critical analysis page, in this sentence, Janie is being very blunt and direct about letting Tea Cake know how she feels. She does not hold back anything that she has on her mind. Being able to voice her thoughts to Tea Cake is something that she chose not to do with Joe because Joe would react negatively toward her speaking up. Tea Cake on the other hand listens to her  and through their communicating, he understands that Janie does not want to be left out of any fun and that she does not mind being around people that are not "mucky mucks."  This portion of the passage also brings out Janie's violent side which is not apparent in her other marriages. Back to top.

“From now on you’se mah wife and mah woman and everything else in de world Ah needs.”
Tea Cake's words are sweet which shows that he cares for Janie. This sentence demonstrates that Tea Cake and Janie are in a relationship, not a dictatorship. He is attentive to what Janie is saying and as a result, the conversation ends peacefully. They are both happy and satisfied with their partnership that if one person is going out to do something, the other will follow. In comparison to Janie's marriage with Joe, Janie for example wants to go to the mule funeral  because she knows that the rest of the community is going to be there and that it is going ot be fun, but Joe does not even consider her feelings. He orders Janie to stay in the store and acts more like a slave driver than a husband. In conclusion, Tea Cake and Janie's marriage contains love, understanding and communication, which are things that are missing from her previous marriages. Back to top.

Last Updated: July 22, 2003
Back to top