The following is a list of the required readings for each week. Additional readings may be added during the course of the quarter, and these will be announced to the entire class by the instructor.
- Dennis I. Dickstein and Robert H. Flast, No Excuses: A Business Approach to Managing Operational Risk. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley and Sons, 2009.
- Rene M. Stultz, “Six Ways Companies Mismanage Risk,” Harvard Business Review, March 2009.
- Nassim Taleb, Daniel Goldstein, Mark Saptznagel, “Six Mistakes Executives Make in Risk Management,” Harvard Business Review, October 2009.
- Catherine H. Tinsley, Robin L. Dillon and Peter M. Madsen, “How to Avoid Catastrophe,” Harvard Business Review, January 2011.
- Price Waterhouse Coopers, "Black Swans Turn Grey: The Transformation of Risk," January 2012.
- Profile of Michael Isensee
- Profile of Bill Longbrake
- Profile of Bill Steele
- Profile of Mike Howard
- Akshay Bhagwater, "The Gulf Oil Spill of 2010."
- Malcolm Gladwell, "Open Secrets," New Yorker.
- Shirish Munshi, "Hurricanes and Oil Spills."
- PBS Frontline documentary, "The Spill."
- Stephanie Overby, "Don't Mess with Texas: 7 Lessons From State IT Outsourcing Disasters."
- Additional Readings on Outsourcing
- "The Dream That Failed," (nuclear power article)
- "CIO Perspective: To be great at IT, you must be great at BPM,"
- "Fraud, bribery and corruption: Protecting reputation and value," Deloitte Forensics Center
- "A Risk Management Makeover," Risk Management magazine (Annie is interviewed)
- Annie Searle, "The Crisis Management Playbook," Continuity Insights Bulletin
- After Japan 9.0: Are there gaps in your continuity plans?
- A Shock From JPMorgan Is New Fodder for Reformers
- JPMorgan CIO Risk Chief Said to Have Trading-Loss History
- Key Void at Top for J.P. Morgan
- Red Flags Said to Go Unheeded by Bosses at JPMorgan
- At JPMorgan Chase, a Complex Strategy That Backfired
- Ring the alarm: Hanford's lack of a nuclear safety culture
Last updated: Monday, 21-May-2012 13:17:28 PDT
© 2010 Information School of the University of Washington
All rights reserved