Dijital Teknologi ve Osmanlı Metinleri Üzerine Çalışmalar
- A basic reference for scholars about Ottoman transcription
issues has been Ismail Unver, "Yazim Birligi Uzerine Oneriler,"
Turkologi Dergisi, XI-I, 1993, 52-89.
- Diyanet's Islam Ansiklopedisi transcription system
is widely accepted by scholars. Can this system be used also?
- Will we use ā or â? Which one should we prefer?
- As we deal with texts, how can we differentiate distinct signs like "hemze"
- As Turkish scholars, we use different symbols to show ı
and i sounds. We use ĭ to point out ı-macron,
but we also need a different sign to indicate i-macron.
- What will be our attitude towards Arabic and Persian phrases and sentences?
Shall we transcribe them into the Latin alphabet or not?
- How can we show the "vav-ı module" in transcriptions, for example,
hoca (hı, vav, edlif, cim, he)?
- Can we use higher characters as writing ARabic and Persian names,
phrases or not?
- As we transcribe a text, how can we transcribe Turkish words?
Should we choose current Turkish pronounciation or will our
task be just to indicate what characters we saw in the text?
- How can we overcome the problem of vowels? Rounded back and
front sounds (o, ö, u, ü)? Perhaps we can indicate
vowels according to the linguistic rules of the period of