e

Frequently Asked Questions
about Winter Quarter Psych 209

Overloads, Add Codes, Waiting List, Switching Sections, Textbook Editions, and Signatures

1. Can I overload into this course and get an add code?
2. The quarter hasn't started yet. Can I get on the waiting list?
3. The quarter has started and the Time Schedule says "Add Code Required." So, how do I get an add code?
4. How does the Waiting List work?
5. What should I do if I can't get into the course?
6. SWITCHING SECTIONS: I am already enrolled but want to switch labs/sections to a different time: Can you switch me?
7. TEXTBOOK: What edition of the textbook do I need? I have or can cheaply buy an earlier edition of the textbook? Can I use this earlier edition instead?
8. SIGNATURE: I need an instructor's signature (e.g., Im a nonmatriculated student, an employee). What should I do?

Unfortunately, no. Following departmental policy for this course, I do not overload Psych 209 if the course is full. Once the quarter starts, you can sign up on a Waiting List, in person only, at the end of Lecture on the first day of classes. See FAQ #4 for more information about the Waiting List.

2. The quarter hasn't started yet. Can I get on a waiting list?
A Waiting List will begin at the end of lecture on the first day of classes. To sign up, you will need to come down to the front of the room at the end of that lecture and put your name down on a sign-up sheet.

I do not accept email or phone requests for the sign up sheet, and you cannot sign up prior to the start of classes. See FAQ #4 for more information about the Waiting List.

3. The quarter has started and the Time Schedule says "Add Code Required". (It will say "Add Code Required" even if spaces appear to be available). So, how do I get an add code?"
You will need to sign up on a Waiting List. See FAQ #4

4. How does the Waiting List work?

• Starting on the first day of class, sign up sheets will be made available at the front of the room, at the end of lecture.
  • Sign-ups are in-person only: I don't add names to the waiting list based on email or phone requests.
  • PRIORITY: All matriculated students who sign up on Lecture Day 1 have priority over students who sign up on Lecture Day 2.  Lecture Day 2 sign-ups have priority over Lecture Day 3 sign-ups, and so forth. Within each day, seniors get first priority, followed by juniors, sophomores, and freshmen.
  • NON-MATRICULATED STUDENTS/EMPLOYEES: By UW regulations, I can only give you an add code if spaces remain after all matriculated students still remaining on the Waiting List are signed in, even if they signed up on a later day than you did. However, if you do receive an add code, then any matriculated students who first sign up on the Waiting List after that will not displace you: you will still retain your add code.
  • IF A SPACE OPENS UP: As spaces become available during the first week and a half (i.e., as enrolled students drop), I admit students from the waiting list to fill those spaces for the particular discussion sections/labs that have the space available.This means that if an opening occurs for a section/lab time that you do not want, you either need to modify your schedule to take that space, or you can pass on that space and hope that another space opens up at a time you prefer (i.e., I would assign your original space to the next student who has priority on the waiting list, and you would retain your priority).
  • BEING DROPPED FROM THE WAITING LIST: The names of waiting list students who are being admitted into the course will be identified on the projector screen prior to the start of lecture for the first week and a half of classes. If your name is on the "admitted" list, at the end of that lecture you need to come down and get the add code in person from a TA. If you are not present, your name is permanently deleted from the waiting list and the next person in line gets the add code. I cannot predict how many enrolled students will drop the course at the start of the quarter. Usually it is not a large number.

5.  What should I do if I can't get into the course?
If it ends up that there is no space for you to enroll in the course this Quarter, then your options would be to try to enroll next Quarter or a later quarter (including summer, which usually has many spaces available). Or, you can check the Time Schedule or contact the Psychology Advising Office to find out whether there is an online option for taking the course at the UW this quarter, or to talk about the Psych 209 enrollment situation in general. The Psych Advising Office is located in Guthrie Hall, 119A and their e-mail is: psyadvis@u.washington.edu

6. I am already enrolled, but I want to switch to a lab/section at a different time. Can you switch me?
Probably not...but keep reading.

We don't overload some sections while underloading others. Please realize that, typically, many enrolled students ask about switching sections and almost everyone wants to switch out of the earlier labs/sections and get into the 10:30 or 11:30 lab/section time slots, which is impossible.

When you register for a course you should count on attending sections/labs for the specific time for which you enrolled. That said, in the first week of winter quarter we will obtain information from the class regarding students who want to switch sections. IF there is a small number (at most 10) of such students AND IF it works out so that the switching would still leave balanced enrollments across the different section/lab times, then we will try to accommodate requests. However, if there are too many students who want to change OR (as is often the case) almost everyone who does want to switch wants to get into a 10:30 (or 11:30) time slot, then we simply will not be able to do this. So we will have to see what happens.

7. What edition of the textbook do I need? I have or can cheaply buy a copy of an earlier edition: Can I use this earlier edition instead?
We are using the following textbook:.

Passer, M.W. (2014). Research Methods: Concepts and Connections (1st Edition). NY: Worth Publishers [a division of MacMillan Higher Ed].

I have asked the U.W. Bookstore to order the loose leaf version because it is the least expensive version. I anticipate that there will be a mix of used (less expensive) and new copies available. The hardback or cloth cover versions also will work -- it's the same book -- by they are more expensive unless, perhaps, you can find used copies.

8. I need an instructor's signature (e.g., I'm a nonmatriculated student, an employee, or otherwise need a signature just to have permission to try to get into the course? What should I do?
Follow the instructions posted for FAQ #4 above; "How does the Waiting List work?" However,when you sign up you'll need to indicate that you're "nonmatriculated" or whatever your non-regular student status is. I will sign your "permission" card/form after class on Day 1, but you will still need to wait and see whether spaces open up so that I can give you an add code.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

BACK TO TOP

:

Psych101B Fall 2000 Copyright © 2000 The University of Washington. All rights reserved.