American Architecture-TCXUS 276
Downtown Tacoma Walking Tour

**Meet at 1:00 p..m. on Thursday, July 1 at the corner of S. 7th and Pacific Ave. by the Old City Hall Building.

Selected Buildings

Hatherton and McIntosh, Old City Hall, S. 7th and Pacific, 1893; renovated 1972
Charles B. Talbot, Northern Pacific Headquarters Building, S. 7th and Pacific, 1888
Edward Frere Champney, Elks Temple, 565 Broadway, 1915
Whidden and Lewis, University Union Club, 1888
Broadway Ave. buildings, mostly 1910s and 1920s
O.P. Dennis, Bostwick Hotel, S. 9th, Broadway, and St. Helens, 1889
John Graham, Sr., Tacoma Municipal Building (Medical Arts Building), 747 Market St., 1928-31
Roland E. Borhek, Rialto Theater, 310 S. 9th St., 1918
B. Marcus Priteca, Pantages Theater, 909 Broadway, 1918
W.L. Stoddard, Winthrop Hotel, NE corner S. 9th and Broadway, 1925
Darmer and Cutting, Olympus Hotel, 815 Pacific, 1909
John Graham, Sr., Bank of California Building, Pacific between S. 10th and S. 11th, 1928
Frederick Webber, Washington Building, 1019 Pacific Ave., 1925
James Knox Taylor, Federal Building and Post Office, A St. between S. 11th and 12th Sts., 1908-10
Lea, Pearson, and Richards, Chase Bank (Pacific First Federal Savings and Loan), 1102 Pacific Ave., 1964
Heath, Gove, and Bell, Heritage Bank (Puget Sound National Bank), 1119 Pacific, 1909-11
Sutton, Whitney, and Dugan, National Bank of Tacoma (formerly Tacoma Art Museum), 1123 Pacific, 1920; museum interior by Alan Liddle, 1969
Skidmore, Owings, and Merrill, Wells Fargo Building (Pacific National Bank of Washington), S. 12th and Pacific, 1969
Burnham and Root, Pacific National Bank (Luzon Building), 1302 Pacific Ave., 1890-91; demolished 2009
Conner and Heath, Da Vita (Davis, Smith and Co., later Schoenfeld’s), 1423 Pacific Ave., 1908
BOE Architects, (Umpqua Bank) Rainier Pacific Building, 2004
Pickles and Sutton, Sprague Building, 1501-05 Pacific Ave., 1889-90
G.C. Clements and Co., Waddell Building, 1502 Pacific Ave., 1890
Johnson Braund Design Group, Marriott Courtyard Hotel, 2004
Mulvanny G2 and Krei Architecture, Greater Tacoma Convention and Trade Center, 2002-04
Antoine Predock with Olson Sundberg Kundig Allen Architects, Tacoma Art Museum, 1997-2003
Carl August Darmer, Carlton Hotel, 1552 Jefferson, 1909
Proctor and Dennis, UWT Institute of Technology (Massasoit Hotel), 1702 Broadway, 1889
Teamsters and Chauffeurs Union Hall, 1894, now houses the Milgard Family Foundation, remodeled by BOE Architects, 2006 (site of first NPRR depot)
Reed and Stem, Union Station, 1911; renovation and new federal courthouse, Merritt and Pardini, 1990-92