Welcome to HCDE 422
Introduction to Style in Technical Communication helps students learn to tailor their writing styles for different professional audiences and situations. The course provides students with guidelines and tools for making appropriate stylistic decisions as they revise their writing. Students work on examples provided by the instructor as well as samples of their own writing.
Upon completion of this course, students should be able to:
- Write standardized American English prose correctly and effectively.
- Identify syntactic elements of sentences.
- Revise quickly and appropriately.
- Articulate the logic behind revisions (as shown through assignments and in-class participation).
- Construct syntactic structures that reveal intended emphasis.
- Create cohesive paragraphs.
- Punctuate sentences effectively.
- Set an appropriate tone.
- Create a style that is appropriate for specific purposes and audiences.
Last updated: Sept. 21, 2009. ©Copyright 2009. Jan H. Spyridakis. All rights reserved.