Northwest Native American Myths

Annotated Bibliography

Copyright 2001 by Chrissy Langston

Works Cited

Primary Sources

Bagley, B. Clarence. Indian Myths of the Northwest. Seattle: Lowmand & Hanford Company, 1930. This text is a compilation of Native American Myths from the Northwest region. While it is a good introductory research tool, it lacks specific information. For instance, the author is able to provide information pertaining to the geographical origins of the myths but is unable to provide the names of the tribes from which the myths originated.

Ballard, C. Aruthur. Mythology of Southern Puget Sound. 2nd ed. North Bend: Snoqualime Valley Historical Museum, 1999. This text is a compilation of myths from the Southern Puget Sound area. It was useful in my research because it provides the names of the tribes where the myths originated, as well as, multiple versions of the same myths.

Ballard, C. Arthur. Some Tales of the Southern Puget Sound Salish. Vol. 2 of University of Washington Publications in Anthropology. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1927. This text is a compilation of myths from the Southern Puget Sound area. Unfortunately, this source, like many other texts, does not provide the names of the tribes from which the myths originated. This was a good source; however, it does not contain the quantity of myths that I found in similar texts.

Clark, E. Ella. Indian Legends of the Pacific Northwest. Los Angeles: University of California Press, 1953. This text is a compilation of myths from the Northwest region. I particularly appreciate the organization of the text. The author separates sections of the text by theme: myths of the mountains, tales of the river, rocks, and waterfalls, etc. Also, I recommend this text based upon the anecdotal information that the author provides preceding each myth, which gives a general time frame of when the myth originated, and interesting geographical information about the natural land features described.

Hilbert, Vi. Haboo: Native American Stories from Puget Sound. 4th ed. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1997. This text is a compilation of stories and myths from the Puget Sound area. It is translated and edited by Vi Hibert, a former professor of Native American subjects at the University of Washington. It is useful in that it is one of the few texts that provides lengthy stories.

Judson, B. Katharine. Myths and Legends of the Pacific Northwest. Lincoln: University of Nebraska, 1997. This text is a compilation of myths. It was useful in my research. However, it was lacking in the quantity of myths provided.

Running, Corinne. When Coyote Walked the Earth. New York: Henry Holt and Company, 1949. This text is a compilation of myths focusing on the Coyote as the central character. Once again, the specific tribes from which the myths originated are not given. Also, the text did not provide multiple versions of myths.

Secondary Sources

Bol, C. Marsha. Stars Above, Earth Below: American Indians and Nature. Dublin: Roberts Rinehart Publishers, 1998. This is a very interesting text that analyzes the relationship between Native Americans and nature. It is interesting because the text covers a variety of topics, such as, origin stories, astronomy, animals, and botany.

Carpentar, Svinth Cecelia. Where the Waters Begin: Traditional Nisqually Indian History Of Mount Rainier. Seattle: Northwest Interpretive Association, 1994. This text describes the relationship that Nisqually Native Americans had with Mount Rainier. I would not recommend this source as a tool for in depth research due to its oversimplification of information. However, the text does provide anecdotal information that I was unable to find elsewhere.

Drucker, Philip. Cultures of the North Pacific Coast. San Francisco: Chandler Publishing Company, 1965. This text illustrates early Northwest Indian culture. I like the text because it is very straightforward. It also provides several illustrations and maps.

Einhorn J. Lois. The Native American Oral Tradition: Voices of the Spirit and Soul. London: Praeger, 2000. This text analyzes the various oral traditions of Native Americans. Through the use of primary sources the author offers her readers a splendid array of oratory from tribes all over North America.

Hilbert, Ron. Ways of the Lushootseed People: Ceremonies & Traditions. 2nd ed. Seattle: United Indians of All Tribes Foundation, 1991. This text offers a bare bones presentation of Lushootseed ceremonies and traditions. While it did have excellent illustrations, it lacks depth, and left me with more questions than answers.

Hughes, Donald J.. American Indian Ecology. 2nd ed. El Paso: Texas Western Press, 1987. This text explains the interconnection between early Native American culture and their environment. This is, by far, the most interesting resource that Iíve found in my research. The author uses many primary sources to support his assertions and leaves out scholarly jargon.

Howell, J. Benita. Native American Trickster Mythology from the Northwest Coast. Ph.D. diss., Graduate School of Kentucky, 1978. This text provides an analysis of the prominent trickster characters in Northwest Coast Native American mythology. Unfortunately, much of the text is extremely complicated and, therefore, difficult to understand. Unless one is a scholar of myth, my recommendation is to skip this text.

Stern, J. Bernhard. The Lummi Indians of Northwest Washingston. New York: AMS Press, 1969. This is an introductory text about early Lummi tribal conditions. This text was successful as a research tool for the beginner. However, it does not cover any topic at great length.

Stewart, Hilary. Indian Artifacts of the Northwest Coast. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1973. This text illustrates and explains the various Native American artifacts excavated from sites around the Pacific Northwest region. It succeeds by providing information that describes how each of the items was used and their significance. The only drawback to this text is that the illustrations are black and white, color would have added more richness to the text.

Taylor, E. Joseph. Making Salmon: An Environmental History of the Northwest Fisheries Crisis. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1999. This is the ultimate resource on salmon! It chronicles the salmon runs and habitats of the Northwest from the Pre-Colonization era, to the more recent political struggles stemming from the decline of the salmon. This is an excellent research tool that, unfortunately, I could only utilize a small portion of due to my paper topic.

Vecsey, Christopher; Venables, W. Robert, eds. American Indian Environments: Ecological Issues in Native American History. New York: Syracuse University Press, 1980. This text analyzes Native American history in an ecological context. It is an interesting text; however, it focuses primarily on the Native Americans of the Plains, which does not relate to my research.

Wyatt, Gary. Mythic Beings. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1999. This text presents modern art depicting themes from Northwest Coast Native Americans. The text divides the artwork into four sections: the sky world, the mortal world, the undersea world, and the spirit world. The illustrations are richly colored and beside each illustration is a descriptive caption that not only interprets the art but also provides a cultural context for the interpretation.