Main | Introduction | Location and Methods | Results | References | Acknowledgements

Fish Species Diversity in Costa Rican Rivers

The purpose of this study was to study the species richness of fishes in tropical Costa Rican rivers and compare the diversity to rivers throughout the world. I started with the hypothesis that species diversity would be negatively impacted by the low pH of the rivers. Species diversity was actually found to be comparable to other areas throughout the world by comparinng the results to models and data assembled by other researchers. In addition, when the pH of the river waters was tested, it was found that they had a pH of 7.5 to 8.0, voiding the assumption that tropical rivers were acidic. Throughout the course of research into the subject, it was also found that freshwater fishes break the typical Mid-domain model of increasing species richness towards the equator and declining richness towards the poles. This Mid-domain pattern fits most types of living creatures, but has not been shown to apply to freshwater fishes.

It was a lot of hiking through the tropical rainforest with its bevy of flora and fauna and very difficult to spend my days swimming in gorgeous, pristine tropical rivers, but I did manage alright. All in all, a great way to spend time in the beautiful paradise that is Costa Rica.