BIOEN 302 home

BIOEN 302 
Introduction to Biomedical Instrumentation
Autumn 2010

Textbooks

Required textbooks: none

Recommended textbooks:

Feedback Control Systems by Doyle, Francis and Tannenbaum is a little old, but it covers the basics and can be had cheap from Amazon.com, or free from Prof. Francis' website (follow the link that says "My homepage continues here").

Another cheap controls text is Feedback Control Systems from Shaum's Outline Series, also available from Amazon.

If you want to go beyond the brief control theory that we cover in 302 you might try Physiological Control Systems by Khoo, or a general feedback control textbook by Franklin et al., Dorf et al., or Nise. Each is good, none is perfect. Most are depressingly expensive.

Electric Circuits, 7th, 8th or 9th edition, by Nilsson & Riedel. If you still have it from EE 215, hang onto it one more quarter because we will study some topics that are described in the second half of this book. On the other hand, a lot of online reviewers think that it is not worth the money, so I won't expect you to buy it just for BIOEN 302.
8th edition: ISBN 0-13-198925-1 

Medical Instrumentation Application and Design, by John Webster. Amazon is selling the fourth edition now. I like it as a reference text, but it is mostly descriptive and doesn't help you solve a lot of problems. The third edition covers most of the same content, but I have heard that there are a lot of mistakes, especially in the end-of-chapter problems. The second edition covers the basics nicely; it misses the new stuff, but it might be worth $10 to get one.
3rd edition ISBN 0-471-15368-0
4th edition ISBN 0-471-67600-3

Understanding Digital Signal Processing, 2nd edition, by Richard Lyons, gives some of the clearest explanations of signal processing that I have ever seen.  We won't use it much during BIOEN 302, but it will be the required textbook for BIOEN 303 (winter quarter), so you might go ahead and buy it now.
ISBN 0-201-63467-8

Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems or whatever textbook you used for MATH 307. If you already sold it back to the bookstore, you should probably buy/borrow/check out some differential equations book for reference. The topic has not changed much in the last few decades, so age is not an issue, but it should cover phase portraits, systems of first-order differential equations, and Laplace transforms.

Books about electronic signals and systems can be helpful.  Signals, Systems and Transforms by Phillips, Parr and Riskin, has a nice pace but does not use examples from bioengineering.

Circuits, Signals and Systems for Bioengineers by John Semmlow, on the other hand, has a great title, but we tried it in 2008 and the class did not seem to like it much.

I will probably follow the topics in Medical Instrumentation Systems by Chatterjee, which is new (copyright 2010), but I think it is poorly written so I won't make it our required text.

Sources: I have not requested these books to be stocked at the bookstore, supposing that you can buy them for less on line. I usually find the book on the Amazon.com web site, then click on the "xx New from..." or "yy Used from..." links, then pick a reputable source and order. For the book by Webster, I bought from "aristotlebooks-jeremymichaelhicks" but I have used many of these small booksellers with success. Other people prefer doing the same process but through alibris.com.

I recognize that you will probably get most of your readings from the web, but please don't spend too much time searching.

BACK TO TOP