The Scientist’s Role in the Anti-Vaccination Movement

hannah

My research focuses on developing biomaterials-based strategies to deliver vaccines and other therapeutics that modulate our body’s immune response in order to improve our ability to fight off infections and prevent diseases.   All parents want what is best for

Posted in Uncategorized

How not to talk about climate change

noname

Robert studies materials for rechargeable batteries in the materials science department. He focuses on magnesium (Mg) batteries, an experimental alternative to the Li-ion battery in your phone and laptop. Mg has advantages of low cost, high energy density, and improved

Posted in Uncategorized

Counting Snow Leopards

shannon3

Snow leopards are possibly the most poorly understood big cat species in the world, due to their secretive, cryptic lifestyle and the rugged weather and terrain of their high elevation habitat. In the mountains of Central Asia, my colleagues and

Posted in Uncategorized

Matters of Fact

katxue

I want to understand how viruses evolve. Recently, I’ve been studying how flu virus changes over the course of a single patient infection and comparing those changes to flu’s evolution on a global scale. Science has been in the news a

Posted in Uncategorized

Whose job is it anyway?

Molly Grear studies the environmental impacts of installing marine renewable energy. Her PhD work focuses on how marine mammals might be impacted by colliding with the moving parts of these energy producing devices. Here’s an all too common question I get about

Posted in Uncategorized

Cancer biology reproducibility initiative challenges confidence in published results

bakerk

Kathryn Baker the role of DNA mutations in the development of colorectal cancer in patients with ulcerative colitis. By studying both mitochondrial DNA mutations and clonal expansions, I hope to better understand cancer development in an inflammatory setting and to help

Posted in Uncategorized

Simplify your life—with yeast!

enchantments2

Anne wants to understand how genomes encode traits. To do so, I work on associating differences in traits with differences in genomic sequence, using baker’s yeast as a model organism.   What do you do when you want to understand how something works,

Posted in Uncategorized

Come on Out to “Pitches and Pitchers” on Feb. 21!

PitchesPitchers2017

ENGAGE is kicking off its inaugural “Pitches and Pitchers” event at Stone Way Cafe in Seattle on February 21, 2017. Starting at 6pm, our students will intrigue you with their science stories, each given as a classic elevator pitch in

Posted in Uncategorized

ENGAGE-ing Science Communicators at Science Talk NW

SciTalkNW_logo

Last week, I and four other members of the ENGAGE Board of Directors had the opportunity to go down to Portland and attend the inaugural Science Talk Northwest science communication conference, held at the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry.

Posted in Uncategorized

Why Cats and Flash Photography Don’t Mix

rach5

Rachel is a PhD Student in the UW Department of Biochemistry who seeks to better understand photoreceptors, the neurons in the eye that detect light. Her current work focuses on a new mechanism by which photoreceptors can control their signals

Posted in Uncategorized

Email Blog Subscription

Enter your email address to receive updates on our seminar course and upcoming talks.

Post Categories

Post Archives