<<< Continued From Front Page <<<

Nuclear Bombs Are Bad For Your Health
By Heather Rone, Columnist

The above sites, rated on a scale of one to five stars with five being the best, served as sources for information contained in this article. For further investigation into the issues and regulations concerning employees exposed to radiation while working to build and test nuclear bombs the Center For Disease Control has posted an informative brochure on their website. It also discusses current research on people exposed to radiation. The government's Department of Energy also hosts another site that linked and summarizes a plethora radiation research. If you live near or ever want to visit a nuclear test site or nuclear weapons plant, it would be a good idea to read the safety suggestions posted by The Nevada Dessert Experience.

The source I found to be the most informative of all was NuclearFiles.org. Not only did it very thoroughly cover the topics of interest, the entire site is devoted to exposing factual information regarding our Earth's saga with nuclear warfare. My very favorite attribute of Nuclear Files was the right-hand column devoted to related items. I love it when sites of an educational genre do that because it provides the knowledge seeker with an instant interconnected web of related information, saving them a lot of time and also expanding the potential that particular site has in providing all the needed information. If Nuclear Files had not provided links to relevant information I would have hit the back button to the Google search that brought me to Nuclear Files and continued on with just the sources Google had provided. Instead, I decided to stay at Nuclear Files and snoop around and I ended up spending a substantial amount of time reading the content of that site, time I would have spent elsewhere if it wasn't for the right column.

Nuclear Files is a site devoted to presenting the public with "Everything you need to know about nuclear age history". The site not only provides background information on past and present issues, it also analyses these issues. There are even primary documents available to enhance research. The welcome page pretty much sums it all up, "This site is an educational resource exploring the political, legal and ethical challenges stemming from the continued existence of nuclear weapons." The fact that the organization took the time to clearly announce the purpose and goals of Nuclear Files is very important. In my opinion, every decent website should have at least a few sentences introducing itself. These days the world is in a hurry, most people don't want to take the time to skim through pages of information to figure out what a website is about and whether or not it will provide them with what they are looking for. Nuclear Files very successfully followed up with its promises too, something that is just as important, if not more, than making any promises to begin with.

The site uses many of my favorite HTML tags to create very organized, navigable and visually pleasing pages. By viewing the source you can get an idea about how all of this was set up. A style sheet maintains visual aspects uniformly throughout the site. Several classes are specified for convenient formatting. Tables and divisions also do several positive things for Nuclear Files. The width is set to accommodate a screen resolution of 800 X 600 pixels, that way the site looks the same on both a 19" Monitor and a laptop. The slimmer format also prevents the exhaustion of navigating wall-to-wall text, as seen on the Nevada Desert Experience site. In fact, on Nuclear Files the informative content is slimmer still because the table has been divided into three columns, yet another very professional style decision. The left-hand column serves as a navigation bar, with links to topics and subtopics available throughout the site. The complete list is only displayed on the home page. When viewing a particular subtopic, this list is condensed to only display the site's available main topics and other subtopics that were classified under the same topic of the subtopic being viewed. At the top of this column is a search window, which I always find very convenient as well as considerate of the designer.

I just can't think of anything bad to say about this website. The only thing I think I would improve is the color scheme, and that's just a personal opinion from a person in love with bright colors and cool graphics. Nuclear Files dot Org is the site to beat. They even have a special section devoted to educators and "Reproduction of material from this site is encouraged". I won't have time to discuss all of the positive aspects of this website, so you'll have to go there and see for yourself. I give it five out of five stars and I'm hereby recommending it to anyone who has to do research on nuclear anything.

<<< Back To Front Page <<<