JSIS B 311 - MYTH OF WAR

taught remotely through the University of Washington in Seattle during the Summer quarter of 2021 Term A. The purpose of this website is to help students faster and easier navigate themselves through the course materials and requirements.

WAR is so complex a phenomenon that any attempt to understand and explain it without using an interdisciplinary approach appears to be futile. Therefore, we shall try to discern the causes of war by exploring them from the point of view of ethology, psychology, anthropology, sociology, geography, philosophy, economics, and history, besides international relations and political sciences.

It is my hope that students will significantly benefit from the study of human nature and different theories of war while attempting to demythologize such a Gordian phenomenon like war.

Denis Bašić, Ph.D.

Instructor

WELCOME TO THE WEBSITE OF THE MYTH OF WAR COURSE

I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy.

John Adams

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill