Colonel William Loch (1846-1901) was commissioned as an officer in 1866 and originally served in the 104th Regiment of Foot. He was transferred to the Bombay Staff Corps, and subsequently to the 1st Regiment Sind Horse of the Bombay Army from 1868 to 1877. He was made Assistant Political Superintendent in Sawantwari in 1877, then Assistant to the General Superintendent of Operations in 1878, Assistant to the Governor General’s Agent at Indore in 1879, Assistant at Banswarra and Pertabgurh in1880. He served as a political officer under Major General Phayre in the Second Afghan War. He subsequently served as Acting Assistant Resident of Western Rajputana, and then as the Boundary Settlement Officer in Marwar in 1881. In 1897, he was assigned to be the Consul General in Baghdad replacing Colonel Edward Mockler.