- Claude E. Shannon, "A mathematical theory of communication", Bell System Tech. J., vol. 27, pp. 379-423; 623-656, July, Oct. 1948.
- Claude Shannon: Father of the Information Age, (video).
- Claude E. Shannon, "Communication theory of secrecy systems", Bell. System Tech. J., vol. 28, pp. 656-715, Oct. 1949.
- Leonard Kleinrock, Message delay in communication nets with storage", (PhD thesis), Massachusetts Institute of Technology. See more here and here.
- Paul Baran, "On Distributed Communications networks", IEEE Transactions of the Professional Technical Group on Communications Systems, vol. CS-12, no. 1, March 1964. See more here, and here.
- Donald Davies, Wikipedia page.
- Vint Cerf and Bob Kahn, "A protocol for packet network interconnection", IEEE Transactions on Communication
Technology, vol. COM-22, no. 5, May 1974.
- Robert M. Metcalfe and David R. Boggs, "Ethernet: distributed packet switching for local computer
networks", Communications of the ACM, vol. 19, no. 7, July 1976.
- Hubert Zimmermann, "OSI reference model - the ISO model of architecture for open systems interconnection",
IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. COM-28, no. 4, April 1980.
- Internet protocol, RFC 791, Information Sciences Institute, Marina Del Rey, California, Sept. 1981.
- Transmission control protocol, RFC 793, Information Sciences Institute, Marina del Rey, California, Sept. 1981.
- J.H. Saltzer, D.P. Reed, and D.D. Clark, "End-To-End arguments in system design", ACM Transactions on Computer Systems, vol. 2, no. 4, Nov. 1984.
- D.D. Clark, "The design philosophy of the DARPA Internet protocols", ACM SIGCOMM'88: Symposium proceedings on Communications architectures and protocols, Stanford, CA, 1988.
- ITU Recommendation X.200, 1994.
- D. Thaler and B. Aboba, "What Makes for a Successful Protocol?", RFC 5218, IETF, July 2008.