?

Click on the question mark to ask the class about oceanography, Glacier Bay, or the cruise.  Your question and answer will appear on the Questions page under Quick Links.

March 24, 2008

9:30 PM

Poetry Night is a tradition, according to Deb Kelley, that began on the R/V Atlantis some 12-15 years ago. This tradition has since transferred to the Atlantis’ slightly older sister ship, the R/V Thomas G. Thompson. Many of the science party (I would even venture to say most, though I didn’t take a head count) were present for the 7:30 PM event today.

Some came prepared with a favorite poem or two while others had taken time to write new pieces. Rick Keil participated most with six or seven separate pieces. There was a good mix of funny and serious poetry from everyone that participated and I think everyone had a really great time with this activity.

For me it was an interesting chance at reflection. I decided to write something even though I haven’t written poetry since 6th grade when I won 3rd place in my home town for a piece on earth worms, and I fully intended for it to be humorous. That’s the easy way to go. I was surprised with the end result and glad that I didn’t stifle it when I finally saw it coming.

What I ended up writing I definitely consider serious rather than humorous. It’s an integration of many experiences inside and outside of my course work. An interesting combination to me, but of course it’s interesting to me. My coursework and the experiences I’ve had with various learned individuals, my leadership (and followership), my internship and my own other various life experiences all come to play here.

It’s about the impact that people can have on other people. I referenced a few classifications of people within academia (professors and lecturers) along with their ability to be known as a teacher or an instructor, but I can apply this to anyone in any profession or with no profession. The point is that everyone has the ability to be a true teacher. One can hide behind the veil of a title, which works well when one’s title is coveted, or one can use their strengths and experiences to make an impact on people that they come in contact with. Teaching is, in my opinion, universally the best way to make an impact on people. There is a lesson to be learned in everything and those that step up to teach those lessons are the true heroes.

Thank you, Deb Kelley, for this opportunity.

The Power of a Teacher

Give a person a fish,
And feed them for a day.

Teach a person to fish,
And feed them for…as long as our fisheries hold out.

The measure of a Professor or Lecturer,
Is nothing more than the measure of the title.

The value of an instructor,
Is only the value of the instruction.

The value of a teacher,
Is beyond that of words.

A teacher is one who,
Isn’t afraid to connect.

A teacher is one who,
Fulfills more than a job description.

A teacher is one who,
Teaches about life.

A teacher is one who,
Teaches in the context of life.

To be known by your title is a distinction.

To be known by your impact is an honor or a disgrace.

You decide.

--
Brandon Knox

Glacier Bay banner background image by Andy Cameron, see original image. Send mail to: seniorcruise2008@ocean.washington.edu