Misfortune

Daniel Arvilla – 4:40, drama

A man’s fortune turns when he comes across a ‘lucky’ coin.

This entry was posted in su18. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Misfortune

1. darvilla says:

While it is far from perfect, in comparison with the rough cut there are definitely some improvements. For starters, the intro scene helps depict the character as ‘happy’ through visual scenes, as well as the music, to help set up his base character. Speaking of which, there seems to be better audio quality and less background noise compared to the rough cut. There does seem to be some WB issues, as during one scene it’s of a ‘warmer’ color, and another a more smoothed out, yet noticeably ‘cooler’ color. However, the scenes do match in action. The next scene however is the same as before, and white noise is still there, so probably could have been better. But with re shoots and more emotion behind certain actions, the character and the change in attitude is definitely better shown.

As for post-production, there was definitely some problems. While it is appreciated that there are filters, use of crop/transforms to help frame a scene better and the use of fixed/added audio, there are a few things that could be better. For starters, the scene where the character first enters home there is a noticeable loss of focus and image quality. In the scene, the audio is taken from a different cut, and if one looks closely enough it can be noticeable. At the scene in the park, while the filter and the ‘warmer’ WB helps to set the scene as hot, the WB is definitely still noticeable in comparison with some scenes.

Overall, definite improvement with the added audio and intro scene change, along with some other re shoots. However, some glaring issues are still noticeable that still detract from the overall film/experience.

2. lauratnguyen says:

I think there is for sure improvement in the editing skills. I think the scenes were varied but also I feel like there could have been more scenes of misfortune in different places like inside a store or in another indoor setting. The voice-over was good, and I liked the scene of the guy robbing the character. But isn’t the man who hi-five’d him in the beginning the same guy who robbed him? Interesting.

3. jackyeung says:

My comment is similar with Laura, the editing can be better and it really makes some actions more natural such as falling down on the floor in your video.