University District Stories

University District Stories

a project of HSTAA 208

deep read site block 50

Dublin Core

Title

deep read site block 50

Subject

deep read site block 50

Creator

Yikan Wang

Publisher

Yikan Wang

Date

2017 1 25

Contributor

Yikan Wang

Text Item Type Metadata

Text

Yikan Wang
HSTAA 208

My block has nothing besides residence as the purpose – four apartments and a motel separated by six townhouses. In the middle of the block, there is an infrastructure that I did not usually notice. There were several electric line poles between the back of the buildings that still holds electrical lines on the top. The only thing that we can tell about those poles were they seem has lasted for a long time. Other than that, the water sewage seems aged as well. Even though we cannot tell it from the front of the buildings, the alley between them was almost flooded during a rainy day. Furthermore, I also notice that the gate to the parking area is in this area. The reason that I had not noticed those is probably since I did not walk through this area often considering it is not the street side of the area.

After those realizations, I suddenly found something strange. The air is too quiet in this block. Only a few cars parked on the street and few people walked by. I found the reason behind it after a peek of the other blocks: there isn't any business on this block. Then, questions arose: why are there all for residence without any other business such as 7-11 and barber shops? -- there are some in the nearby blocks but not this one.
What is the plan for this area in the future? Are those building still houses in the future? And what is the block look like before the apartment and houses? Did any business besides residence business exist in my block before?

Apparently, I expected there to be some business area because there are already a lot of residence in this area. Comparing with other blocks close by with business, including Cafe as ShareTea, health support as Massage, and supermarket as Trader Joe's, this block is way too silence. The people who live in this area must need services like barber, and they need daily supply like foods and drinks. There are a lot of what the residents need in this area, but why there are not any of them. Everyone can see the gap between consumption and supplement. To figure this out, I think that I need the data about the existed building in the area: were there any business shop? If there were, how did they operate? Is it because the business shops did not go well, and then they extinct? When were they gone?

Files

1971623559.jpg
1816754696.jpg
1598780585.jpg
803112481.jpg
802227125.jpg
719134041.jpg
372319086.jpg

Citation

Yikan Wang, “deep read site block 50,” University District Stories, accessed June 30, 2024, http://courses.washington.edu/hstaa208/items/show/321.