You will be viewing these video series in an “okay” and “better” format. Each video will have the physician do an effective job of providing medical care to Jane. In the “okay” video, the physician will use basic relational and communication skills to assure that Jane understands her medical options so she can make an informed choice for her future care. In the “better” video, the physician will use more advanced communication and relational skills that allow for an integration of Jane’s story (values and goals) into the discussion. These more advanced skills are often called patient centered or relationship centered communication.
Videos 1-3 of both Video Series comprise parts of one complete, initial visit. The final (4th) videos in each Video Series are an entire follow-up visit in the hospital, 9 months after Jane and Dr. Farber’s initial office consultation.
Several points are important to keep in mind as you observe the videos:
- Neither video series is perfect
- Each video contains excellent communication and relational skills
- Each video contains areas where improvement was desirable
- You will be asked to rate the video on a 1-5 likert grounded scale
- You will also be asked to support your ratings by describing specific behaviors and the consequences of these behaviors for the physician and patient
- This video is based on an actual patient encounter
Instructions for Chronic Care Clerkship students: Please read about important skills for the Best Practice Model and watch the introductory videos and Video Series 1 & Video Series 2 by the 3rd Monday of the Clerkship. We will discuss the videos as a group during the PC small group session on the 3rd Monday.
Instructions for WRITE students: Please read about important skills for the Best Practice Model and watch the introductory videos and Video Series 1 & Video Series 2. Discuss the videos with your WRITE preceptor and write a brief summary of your discussion to be submitted to Palliative Care faculty at UWSOM.