The Ripple Effect

1 Comment on The Ripple Effect

Having taken previous nutrition courses, and being someone who has spent the better part of my adult life as a vegetarian, I am cautious about what I consume, though admittedly, not as strict as I could be given what I know about the food I eat and its effects on the body. That being said, much of what was discussed in Michael Pollan’s book “In Defense of Food” was a refresher course, so to speak, though the information shared was nonetheless valuable, and an enjoyable read. 

My biggest takeaway came near the early parts of the book when Pollan discusses the increasing rate of which our eating habits and nutritional concerns are changing. Pollan points out that since the dawn of time, humans have eaten based on what they needed to survive, and without the consultation of medical professionals or scientists, that is up until the 1960’s. What struck me about this declaration is just how intertwined the government (and the lobbyists who fund their campaigns) have penetrated our lives to the point that we can no longer decide on a meal without their influence impacting our decisions.

The focus has become about efficiency, shelf-life, and convenience, not true nutrition. This is of course for the benefit of grocery stores and vendors, not the health of the people, as evident in the fact the US has become the fattest country in the world. It is concerning to me that companies and our government care more about profit and their bottom line, than they do about what their decisions mean for the overall health of people who consume their products. 

What I hope to learn from this class is what can be done to counteract the processed food machine that is our current food system. What can be done from a systemic approach to make meaningful changes? My hope is that with a growing concern about health, and the global number of vegetarians/vegans growing every year, that we can get reverse the current system and get back to a culture of farming, and consumption of “real food.” This will not only improve the overall health of the human population, but will also have global impacts on the environment, as the meat industry is a big contributor to greenhouse gases and global warming, and has left a lasting ecological footprint. In addition, the amount of corn and grain that is needed to feed and raise animals for consumption, if redirected could feed those who are undernourished or starving.

My thoughts on a plant-based diet are clear, however, that does not mean that I expect that everyone should be a vegetarian. My choice was personal for me, as each person’s diet is and should be personal to them. Pollan even stated that a little meat won’t kill you, and advocated for a mostly plant-based diet. If we were to follow his advice and reduce our meat consumption to a “side-dish,” the ripple effects would be seen in our health, our ability to feed nations lacking in quality food, and a reduction in environmental damages caused by the meat industry.

1 thought on “The Ripple Effect

1. landc

I concur with you. I believe that the entire food system in the US, and probably most of the world, is solely biased on profit. Our choices and nutritional value are all depending on what makes money. I am a heavy meat eater, mainly because that’s the way I was raised, however after taking a few classes I’m now trying to slowly change my lifestyle to treat meat as a side dish. Especially considering the affect producing animals for meat, IE cows, ruins the environment be producing green-house gasses, and after seeing the amount of water needed to produce a pound of beef in the Lesson 3, it gives me another reason. Good luck with the class!