Once Upon a Very Long Time

Khader Welaye – 5:50, drama/reflective

Young Alex struggles to know where he really wants to go in life, and what path will take him there.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Once Upon a Very Long Time

1. Khader Welaye says:

This was a very personal project for me, due to me giving Alex many of my aspirations in the initial script.

A LOT changed from the initial inception of this idea to the final product. Firstly, I didn’t want to be playing Alex. I wanted to be behind the scenes, but I couldn’t find anyone who could commit the time to play Alex’s role.

Sound was also an issue, as you might have noticed the quality is sometimes good, sometimes bad. I figured out the boom mic and how to use and amplify it properly, but I had two instances where my boom operators (Jason Pace and a little girl) forgot to turn on the Marantz audio recorder I was using, and another instance where the battery died. I was able to do some post production on the audio to increase audibility but the vocals weren’t ideal.

Lastly, post production was an absolute nightmare this time around. I was having a lot of compatibility issues with my footage, and by the time I had gotten them figured out, I had caught the flu and was barely able to function, let alone edit. I managed to redo my piece with the corrected footage and get everything put together, but it was a week of absolute torture.

Although this piece had many shortcomings, I’m still happy with the way it turned out.