Spooky Times – Eric’s cut

Eric Wang & Andrew Tsai – 4:00, drama/comedy

A misunderstanding in the household makes for some spooky times.

This entry was posted in au15. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Spooky Times – Eric’s cut

1. EricWang says:

We ended up re-shooting all the footage for the final cut because lighting was just horrible. Which was a good thing, since I asked youtube how to best light a dark scene. I think we did pretty well, even though some of the scenes may have been TOO dark, it’s no longer apparent that we’re using artificial light sources. The thing with the flashlight was especially good, the clear beam and head really added another dimension to the shots. The audio was also pretty good if i do say so myself. I experimented with highpass filtering and lowpass filtering to make things sound muffled, or as if they were coming directionaly from a tv. One thing i think we could have done better is the story progression. Though the story is cohesive, it could be a bit clearer in the chronological sense.

2. Kaitlyn_Pittman123 says:

I can see the improvement! The lighting was amazing, and I really like the dialogue was on point. Great Job!

3. Luis F Olazabal says:

This was a great edit, the lighting was good, and the pacing was awesome. I recommend to make it a little better is to go back in post and edit the darks on the color balance and make them super dark, and boost your highs and mids. It’ll make it easier to see your actors and it’ll make it convincingly dark without being really overly dark. It works out better because your on-site lighting was pretty great to work with in editing to begin with. Other than that, audio was a little loud in the beginning with the wind but over all it was good for dialogue.

4. Ross McLeod says:

I’m super stoked that you guys retook the footage with a lighting source you had control over, the scenes with the power being out are way better. The shot selection itself is pretty good, I might have liked to see more close-up reaction shots of fear to enhance the theme of a scary movie, but the indistinguishable dialogue also set the scene very well. In fact, if you did plan on continuing with this, I would even suggest you have Eric making nervous the sounds audible for Andrew, with reaction shots of Andrew’s fear while believing the sound is from a supernatural source. Overall I thought the film was great, it showed a lot of improvement from your earlier projects and the result is really entertaining.