[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Professor Deborah Maranville
Room 247, William H. Gates Hall, (206) 543-3434
maran@u.washington.edu

Law A502, Fall-Winter 2004
Civil Procedure I

Problem Sets

From the Prof

The Yeazell casebook contains numerous sets of problems, typically designed to work you through a basic understanding of one or more statutes or Federal Rules. In most cases, if you work through them on your own, little class discussion of the problems will be required, and we can use class discussion for other purposes. I have therefore set them up as web-based problems sets. You will do the questions on-line before class and then review the answers posted on-line.  In class we'll talk about any areas that caused particular difficulty. The problems from the casebook are assigned on the course schedule. After the link to each of these problems sets I have noted the corresponding page from Yeazell. In addition, I have created one new set and updated some old problem sets given to me by a former colleague that you can use for review at your convenience.

Grading for this course awards 1/2 point each for up to twenty of the thirty-four problem sets. This should give you the flexibility to earn the maximum number of points, without any undue stress, in case life gets a bit hairy. I anticipate that you will find the problem sets very helpful and will want to do all of them, even if you have already earned the maximum number of points.

Why on-line you may ask? Among other things, doing them on-line generates a question by question printed list of the answers you submitted. This allows me to review them quickly to see how you are doing, as well as to assign points efficiently.

Because we have a large number of problem sets, we have set them up on seven different pages, according to topic.  In order to get you accustomed to using the WebQ tool used to create these problem sets, and so that I can sort you into small groups with an eye to your learning style for small group work, please answer the questions in the following survey no later than 9:30 a.m. on Monday, September 27th.

Small Groups Learning Style Survey

Topics