PHYS 322, Spring 2006
Electromagnetism II - Magnetism

Homework problem sets

due mean stdev
HW1 March 31 10.3 0.8  
HW2 April 7 7.2 2.1  
HW3 April 14 7.7 2.0  
HW4 April 21 8.3 2.1  
HW5 April 28 6.5 2.5  
HW6 May 5 6.6 3  
HW7 May 12 6.0 3  
HW8 May 19 7.0 2.7  
HW9 May 26  
HW10 June 2 10 0 solutions

Solutions more than a week old are hidden. You should have received an email about how to view them. If you lost it, just ask me.

Assignment and collection: Homework is assigned weekly on this web page. Problems are from Griffiths unless otherwise stated. Problems will usually concern the material covered in lectures and recitations up to and including the Monday prior to hand-in Friday. The solutions will be posted here immediately here after that class, so late submissions cannot be accepted. If you can't make the deadline, an alternative arrangement can be made if and only if you contact me by email beforehand to explain your situation. You must turn in your own solutions. Egregious plagiarism (eg, copying from the solutions manuals) will be noted and you may be penalized.

Grading: Homework will be graded by a TA. Graded homework will be left on the filing cabinets near my office. The homework will normally be marked out of 10. Each week, some credit will be given for a reasonable attempt at all the questions, while selected questions will be graded in detail. Not all of your answers will be carefully graded. The purpose of the homework is to guide you in studying the material; it is not a test in its own right.

It is very important to write math carefully. Although we will be gentler in grading at first, you should expect to lose marks, on homework and exams, for such things as not distinguishing between scalars and vectors, and for not making it clear whether an integral is over surface or volume. Thus, equating a scalar to a vector, or equating quantities with different dimensions, is a no-no.

Examples classes: Along with each homework set is a set of related problems for discussion in the examples class (sometimes called "recitations") before the homework deadline. Solutions to these will not be posted! The only way to get them, if you can't do the problem yourself, is to attend the examples class.

Bonus questions: There will sometimes be extra advanced questions on the homework that are worth up to 2 points each. 2 points will be given only for a correct answer and a well written solution; 1 point only for an good attempt. For special problems, with no known solution (!) bonus points will be awarded for interesting attempts. I may set bonus questions spontaneously in class if an interesting problem arises. I will take account of accumulated bonus points if your final total score lies close to a grade boundary. The main point of the bonus questions however is to give you a deeper understanding which you'll need if you continue to do physics after you graduate.

Bonus marks are not easily won! To get 2 points you will need to write out your solution or proof carefully, clearly, and convincingly. This is mainly for your sake, but also because I don't have time to try to understand difficult and unconvincingly written proofs! You should write out all intermediate steps. I recommend handwriting because it's much quicker. You should do the math and formulate the solution in the most efficient way you can, to elucidate the basic form and allow one to see the limits easily. For instance, be sure to choose the optimal coordinate system if it exists. You should consider all possible limits to test the validity of your solution - one is rarely enough, especially in a 3D problem. Also, say anything you think is interesting about the solution or proof. Solutions to bonus questions will not be posted immediately, and may or may not be available on request. If you ask, I may accept solutions to the bonus problems later in the quarter.

Last modified: 6/02/2006 4:17 PM