University District Stories

University District Stories

a project of HSTAA 208

Site Report 1

Site Report #1 in U-district

Main buildings

Cedars on Brooklyn (Indian restaurant) on the corner of 50th St. and Brooklyn Ave.

Itadakimasu (Japanese restaurant) on Brooklyn Ave.

Walgreens (convenience store) on the corner of 50th St. and 12th Ave.

Ellipe Apartments, Cetacean Research Technology and University House Resident Council are on 12th Ave.

LIV Seattle is on Brooklyn Ave.

Details

It is quiet, peaceful and clean place, even though this district is close to the University of Washington. I explored this block around 10 a.m. but there are few pedestrians and traffic. I guess residents on LIV Seattle and Ellipe Apartment had already gone to their schools or workplaces at that time.

On Brooklyn Ave, there is Safeway and I was surprised that a couple of homeless people were sitting and begging even daytime. I realized there is environmental gap between residence area and surroundings of Safeway.

Furthermore, I found Cross & Crown Church on 47th St. I was wondering what kind of people are coming to this church because I can’t see any family houses around this block and residents around here would be students living alone or with friends. I got to want to know how religious the young generation is compared to old generation having family.

Questions

1. How was this block like before UW? Because residents of apartments are filled by UW students.
  2. Who goes to the church on 47th St.?
  3. Why there are several homeless in U-district?

Missing things

I thought there is a few family house in this block even here is close to UW. However, I could not find any family houses. Although a couple of elementary schools and junior high schools which is an important point to consider about family, exist near this block, I can’t find reasons why this block is not familiar with family. In order to understand reasons, I need to focus on the previous map of this block and find out whether there was family which lived in U-district or not? 

Site Report 1