The Faraday rotation effect
The rotation of the plane of polarization of light propagating along a magnetic field in a dispersive medium is studied as a function of magnetic field and compared to a simple theory.
- Excel spreadsheet for the coil field integration
- PDF of Excel spreadsheet results
- Pedrotti, F. L., and P. Bandetti, "Faraday rotation in the undergraduate advanced laboratory", Am. J. Phys., 58, 542-545 (1990).
- Serber, R., "The theory of the Faraday effect in molecules", Phys. Rev., 41, 489-506 (1932).
- Van Baak, D. A., "Resonant Faraday rotation as a probe of atomic dispersion", Am. J. Phys., 64 (6), 724-735 (1996).