University District Stories

University District Stories

a project of HSTAA 208

Site Report 3

Joseph Koch Audio Tour For Block 9

Insurance Maps of Seattle

Insurance Maps of Seattle - Joseph Koch

Section 23E zoning [1958 Seattle Zoning Code - zoning map sections including changes made by Ordinances up to and including Ord 90314 (9/15/1961) ]

Zoning Map of Seattle 1961 - Joseph Koch

Hi, My name is Joey Koch and I am going to be your tour guide today.  Get ready to learn some of the history of the University District development as well as specifics on residential blocks such as my block, number 9, between 7th Ave and 8th Ave NE and 43rd St. and 42nd St.  In the Nineteenth century, development on my block, although not extensive, does reflect what would later come.  In the most early stages we can see from historical documents such as zoning and tax maps, that this block was destined to be residential complexes used for students.  This section of the University District reflects its surroundings as well, because as we walk along the streets we see not only smaller single family housing, but modern and big apartment buildings.  No one could have predicted the rate at which the University District would actually need to expand, and even though my block is purely residential, it provides a clear view into this expansion.  The view of old homes that appear to be falling apart right next to the Verve Apartments brandishing clean construction and modern design show how far it has already come.  The University District will continue to expand and soon the smaller homes we see here on my block will continue to vanish and be replaced by larger structures that can accommodate more people.  Even though the University of Washington is pushing to change zoning laws, I believe that my blocks location near the current West Campus Student Dorms will ensure that it remains in use for student housing.  The landscape and neighborhoods are always changing here in Seattle, but there is one thing we can always count on, development. 

Site Report 3