Site Report #3

Site Report 3.1

An arial view of block 12 on Roosevelt way and 42nd University District. Taken on 2/17/2017 by King County Parcel Viewer.

Site Report 3.2

View of inside of Hardwick and sons on block 12. Taken in on 04/04/1952 by Rand Collins, Through a Vintage Lens.

Welcome to the amazing block 12, okay maybe not that amazing. Today I will give a tour of my block as well as some information and cool facts on the establishments built on it. My block mainly consists of living space but it’s most defining feature is its large alley way that cuts through the middle of it. If visiting this block I would suggest not doing so at night and doing so with a group of people as it is not the friendliest or inviting of places in the university district.

The buildings on my block are both new and old. The family owned hard ware store Hardwick and Sons dates all the way back to 1932 and is by far the oldest build on the block, during its construction a parking lot also accompanied it to make more room for cars to have parking space. An interesting fact about this hardware store is that it’s very unconventional mainly due to its motto “the customer isn’t always right”. On the other hand, the newest building on the block is a brand-new hotel built only 15 years ago in 2002 called the Watertown Hotel - A Staypineapple Hotel which is a chain of hotels all across the country.

Between the dates of 1932 one by one every building was replaced by a newer one in order to create more living space for the exponential increase of people in the U-Distrct. This block has vastly changed since 1932, what was once residential housing is now commercial real-estate, a store, and a government building and has changed even more since the 1800's when it was a lush forest full of life. I assume block 12 will continue to change due to its deteriorating state with all the cracks in the roads and falling apart buildings.

Audio Recording: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B12U047LXZx2cmZFWGdhM0c4VllVNGVrMjREbU5sUk1sc0Zz

Site Report #3