University District Stories

University District Stories

a project of HSTAA 208

Conclusion

As I learn more and more about my block, I couldn't help being appalled by the rich history that is hidden under it. As I learned more and more about the historical pattern of how cities were built and the factors that go into the development of the city, it was amazing to research in depth about a specific part of the history-filled U-District. 

One of the key takeaways of this exhibit was that Block 17 stands out from the other popular blocks. The block separates itself from its surrounding blocks by displaying almost a symbolic transition that is not just happening on the block, but also throughout Seattle. As mentioned before, the old houses on this block are slowly being pushed out for large apartments that can house more people. In the near future, I can't help but imagine if the U-District P-Patch will remain on block 17 due to its inactivity and high demand for more housing.

Another key takeaway is that the U-District P-Patch needs attention. With a lack of activity around this area, the P-Patch has been inactive since 2012. As part of a tradition throughout Seattle, the people living in U-District has an obligation to help nurture and develop a tradition that has been around for over 70 years. 

Who could have known the depth of history contained in each block. As time goes on and history keeps on being written, I am excited for others who might embark in this journey to explore what this block can offer. Thank you for exploring Block 17 with me. 

Conclusion