University District Stories

University District Stories

a project of HSTAA 208

Site Report #2: Environmental History

Bridge crossing, 1894 Topographic Map

Bridge crossing Lake Union.

One thing that I found by looking at some earlier maps is that a bridge has spanned Lake Union near my block for a long time. In lecture we looked at a picture of one of the earlier bridges connecting up to what would become the University. This has a lot to do with the geography of the area. Ignoring other man-made canals such as the Montlake cut, where the southern bank juts out is the narrowest section where Lake Union and Portage Bay connect. It is also fairly centrally located which makes it an ideal location for a bridge to be built.

From the images I have found, the creation of the Ship Canal Bridge had a strong effect on the landscape and nature of this area. The large construction project meant that much of the land surrounding the bridge needed to be completely cleared of any trees or rocks and the constant movement of machinery and materials left ground bare and leveled. When construction was finished what appeared to be turf was spread underneath the bridge. For the most part the many of the surrounding houses still remained with modest amounts of trees and backyard greenery.

Site Report #2: Environmental History