University District Stories

University District Stories

a project of HSTAA 208

Site Report 4: The Past and Future U District

Lander Hall

This is a picture of Lander Hall that has just been rebuilt in 2012. This caters directly towards student life. 

Block 39, between Brooklyn Avenue and University Way NE, and between Lincoln Way and NE Pacific Street, is located in the area classified as Lower Brooklyn according to the “University Community Urban Center Approval and Adoption Matrix” source. My block today is mainly meant for student life, as it is located right near the south end of campus. Therefore, the developers keep this in their mind and most of what they have built over the years have been for student needs. For example, they just put in Lander Hall, a dorm for students, just over 5 years ago. According to this Approval and Adoption Matrix, most of what they want to do moving forward with this block are small projects. Although some of these projects were proposed several years ago, they still are being processed. The main purpose behind these smaller projects would be to create a better connection between the student life around campus and the rest of the public so that there is something for everyone in lower Brooklyn. This document was prepared by the University Community Urban Center association and they basically want to give people a run down of what areas around the University district are like and how they can be improved. They have a vision of growth over the next 20 years and it seems to be working well as there are many new stores and dorms being put in so that all people can enjoy the lower Brooklyn area. Unlike developers over a hundred years ago, who had virtually everything open to them in this area, the developers now have several items in place and they need to decipher which ones to keep and what new things to put in. I’m not entirely sure if the planners are aware of the history of the block and I am not sure if it really matters if they know anything or not. All I know is that the area suits students very well and even adults can come to the area and grab cups of coffee or even sit down at restaurants that have recently been put in. Another source that is very important to my block is the “UD History and Existing Conditions Report” which focuses on the new light rail. This impacts my block directly because it is so closely located to the light rail station. It is only about a five- minute walk and it makes block 39 that much more desirable. Now people don’t have to deal with the hassle of taking the bus everywhere they go. Most of these decisions are made by Seattle team groups who come together to make a plan that will work going foward. In addition, a lot of development decisions are made thorugh city votes. For example, Seattle went towards its citizens to get avote about the new light rail. This way, the city can make decisions knowing that the majority of people approve of this. Overall, after researching about plans being put in all around the U-District, it seems that it will become more student based as a whole, even though some places like my block can cater to people of all ages. I believe the future will help the students enjoy their time in school, but I believe the developers need to think about more than just students because there are a lot of non-students that hold the University of Washington close to their hearts. 

Works Cited

"B. Lower Brooklyn." University Community Urban Center Approval and Adoption Matrix. Seattle: University Community Urban Center, 1998. 8-11. Print.

Kubly, Scott. "Seattle Department of Transportation: Bike Program." Seattle Department of Transportation: Bike Program. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Jan. 2017.

Larson, Christina. "Chicago by the Yangtze." (n.d.): n. pag. Oct. 2010. Web. 7 Mar. 2017.

University District Parks Plan. Vol. 1. Seattle: Seattle Parks and Recreation, 2015. Print.

University District Urban Design Framework. N.p.: Department of Planning and Development, n.d.Print.