University District Stories

University District Stories

a project of HSTAA 208

Site Report #1: The Deep Read

Surprisingly, this was the first time I had visited my block, though it happened to be located on 45th, one of the main roads of the U district. Upon arrival, I immediately noticed the ongoing construction that took place between Roosevelt and 11th. Though restricted by metal fences and “DO NOT TRESSPASS” signs, I pondered at the idea of the next new attraction, deciding to further investigate in my future visits. I continued investigating down 11th and was surprised to find that the block consisted of one BIG building.  After taking a closer look, I noticed the building actually served many purposes such as retail, additional space for incoming businesses and housing for students. The building was surrounded by an inviting aura, pleasantly decorated to welcome in future business owners and students. It had many lights strung across each of the buildings structures, flowers and trees thoughtfully planted in front of each door and even a metal statue of a man “biking” his dog. Though not part of my block, the other side of 11th seemed to be shadowed by this building, only offering an empty parking lot and bus stop for any of its visitors. While continuing my journey, I walked towards Roosevelt and 47th and came across an auto repair shop. Though the sun had almost set, the shop seemed to be booming with business, its open garage welcomed customers. As I continued walking down Roosevelt, I ironically came across a Mazda Auto dealership. Initially I assumed it had prime location due to its proximity to 45th, however its position soon seemed odd to me; how many college students can afford a car again? I began wondering if these auto shops were placed there on purpose, did the auto shop notice the Mazda dealership and find it useful for their business or did they establish themselves first? I also wondered if their buildings initially consisted of “free space” for business, much like 11th or if they had been built there for the purpose of the auto business. As I found myself back to my initial starting point, I was surprised at the lack of commercial shops. U district is booming with shops, restaurants, grocery stores etc. however my block offered no commercial attraction (unless you were looking to be the owner of a brand new car) As a whole, I found my block to enticing in its own way. It allured students and future business and car owners and its location was ideal for those navigating their way through the U district and 45th

Site Report #1: The Deep Read