University District Stories

University District Stories

a project of HSTAA 208

Site Report 1

After taking a walk around Block 51, inspirted by John Stilgoe's "Outside Lies Magic," I have written below a detailed account of my observations and findings:

The block along 50th and 7th between 47th and 9th is an interesting combination of both residential housing as well as a park called University Playground. The layout of the block itself is also quite unique in the sense that about a quarter of the block is the park and the rest is a conglomerate of housing, alleys and streets. Take for example 8th Ave NE which cuts through about half of the block before running into the park, and the same goes for 48th Ave NE except in the east west direction. To get a better sense of the layout see the map below.

In terms of the University Playground the entrance lies at the corner of 50th and 9th Ave NE and is marked by a stone Landmark Fence dated to 2004. Some of the stones along the wall are engraved with names of various sponsors who helped fund the park as well as recognition for the Seattle Parks and Recreation Department. Within the park there is a baseball diamond, two tennis courts, a public restroom, a water fountain and a playground for kids. On the south end of the park there is a small staircase as well as a ramp, meaning the park was designed to be wheelchair accessible. In the time I was at the park I saw a couple of students playing frisbee and a few people letting their dogs run around the space.

After wandering around the park, I took the alley behind 7th Ave NE checking out what seemed like older houses with relatively rundown backyards and garages. The housing along this side of the block seemed to be more affordable because it was right along I-5 and not the most desirable property in that sense. The further the houses were to the east, it seemed to me, the more expensive they looked. The newest apartment complex and the site under construction on the block were on the furthest east side on 9th Ave NE. Based on this observation it could be argued that desirable plots of land are more susceptible to processes of gentrification. Just as a side note as well, though not technically on the block itself, I noticed a collection of tents on the meridian beside I-5. These tents are an indicator of not only income disparities in Seattle but also the ways in which Seattle deals with (or doesn’t) it’s homeless population.

Based on the people I observed walking, driving and biking around the block it seemed that young college students made up the bulk of the people living on the block and using the park. It is also important to note the political signage that was hung on one of the telephone poles which could symbolize not only the political climate of the area but also the politically active student population on the block.

After taking a first look at Block 51 a few questions came to mind about its past, as well as it's future:

What existed here prior to human settlement? What did the natural ecosystem look like and how was it changed and controled as the city of Seattle grew?

What's the parks story? Who put it here? When? What is the future of University Playground?

And finally, with the current ongoing coversatoins about zoning adjustmentss in the neighborhood what's next for the homes on Block 51? 

Site Report 1