University District Stories

University District Stories

a project of HSTAA 208

Introduction

Corner of Brooklyn Ave

Corner of Brooklyn Ave and NE 47th St. University District (Seattle, WA). Taken on January 11, 2017. Evan Wong.

Welcome to Block 57! I am glad you have decided to take a look and I hope you learn something about my block as well as the University District. Seattle is an urban location that has undergone various stages of development. In the 1860’s, the University of Washington was established as a public university in downtown Seattle. Overtime, the UW campus has undergone a shift in location and design. University District has developed into an area that caters towards students and their needs. This historical exhibit will showcase different aspects of my block which include a deep read, an environmental history, an audio tour, and a past and future component. Compiling this online exhibit has allowed me to capture present history that will hopefully be used one day as a means of reflection or teaching. Sharing history and all its perspectives has been an excellent experience for me and I want to inspire you to write about history in your community.

Introduction