University District Stories

University District Stories

a project of HSTAA 208

Site Report 1

Block 9

Sketch done by the author. January 20, 2017.

Seattle Cottage

Photo taken by the author. January 20, 2017.

Block 9 apartment street

My block is exclusively residential, which appears quite boring compared to other blocks. Looking closer I do see a mixture of older and newer housing. There are small, older homes. What I call the classic “Seattle Cottage” along with some rather run down looking apartment buildings that have fewer units next to new buildings of Apodments. The juxtaposition of the old homes next to Apodments really caught my eye. I myself have been looking into moving and Apodments is something that has come up because cities are not providing housing inexpensive enough and I know cities like Bellevue have been forced to create Apodments as a cheaper living alternative. Seeing them next to the school suggested to me that because the University is there the growing population of both Seattleites and students is forcing the construction of small living spaces in mass quantities to rent to make room for all of the people who are moving to Seattle but cannot afford the high rent that comes with living in such a populated area. This block alone appears to be fairly suburban with more single family style homes than shared living spaces, however the area around it is transitioning more and more towards city layout. 

Site Report 1