University District Stories

University District Stories

a project of HSTAA 208

Site Report 2: Environmental History

Prior to 1860, the land that is now the University District was rich with trees and streams. A meadow lay just north of Lake Union, near where my block stands today. This area was inhabited by the Duwamish Native Americans (Nielsen 2). They lived along the shore of Lake Union. Wildlife was abundant in this area, long before any settlers arrived.

There is virtually no records of maps or topography on the University District before 1856. The land had belonged to the Native American inhabitants, who had lived in this area for generations. In 1855, however, a treaty transferred the title of land in the region from the Duwamish Indians to the U.S. Government (Nielsen 2). The treaty was signed by Governor Stevens of the Washington Territory in a contemptuous deception. Surveyors arrived in the mid 1850’s to scout the area and document the topography of the region. I was able to find a township plat of King County from 1889 as well as a 1907 township plat from Anderson Map Co’s King County Atlas. The difference between the maps shows the rapid settlement of this area within an 18 year period.

The area of University District was perfect for residential and retail development. The natural low slope made development easier than in other parts of Seattle (Klingle 11). Substantial regrading was not needed in this section of the city. The district land was surveyed into mile square sections with 36 sections to a township (Nielsen 2). By 1907, the sections had been parceled out and bought by retailers. The topographical maps illustrate the geography of the area. Neither Lake Washington nor Lake Union were connected to each other as they are today. According to UniverCity: The City Within a City, the “shoreline of Lake Washington was considerably higher than at present. The level of the lake was lowered about eight and one-half feet when the Lake Washington Ship Canal was excavated”(1). This excavation began construction in 1911. The purpose was to connect the fresh water body of Lake Washington with the salt water inland sea of Puget Sound.

The biggest impact my block experienced was the building of University Bridge in 1919 (Nielsen 13). This connected the traffic from Eastlake Avenue over Portage Bay. The bridge allowed for easier transit between University District and the neighborhoods of Eastlake and Capitol Hill. Originally, the Latona Bridge was the means of transportation between these areas (Nielsen 8). However, residents began to debate the proposed construction of a second bridge that would connect at 10th Ave. This was the University Bridge. It was the second Lake Washington Ship Canal bridge to be built (Long). When more traffic from Eastlake Ave was brought to the University District, the avenue had to cut across 10th Ave NE, which eventually was renamed Roosevelt Way. The intersection of these streets fork to the east of my block. This makes it difficult to reach my block when heading North. This could possibly explain why it was more lucrative to develop residential and office buildings on my block, rather than retail.

The environmental president of the block is somewhat undeterminable at the moment. Construction is still underway, so the sidewalks and areas around the areas have been ripped up. This is a potential sign that newer environmentally sound innovations will be included in the sidewalk's reconstruction. However, it is difficult to say at the moment. There is no pre-urban environmental remnants. All forms of nature are artificially produced. A section of shrubs and trees adorn the sidewalk on the west side of my block, down 9th st. However, these were obviously planted recently. The only evidence my block has of its pre urban environment is the slope of the road. My block is situated on a natural curvature that slopes southward toward Lake Union. Other than that, there are no clear signs of the original block.

Site Report 2: Environmental History