University District Stories

University District Stories

a project of HSTAA 208

In Conclusion...

Researching the evolution of my block almost felt like understanding the past of a human friend, as silly as that sounds. It is existing proof that urban development is heavily effected by historical context rather than simple architectural planning. Understanding urban development can also help one place historical events on a timeline that makes sense to their surroundings. An example of this is when I found that the roads of University Way NE were paved in preparation for the Alaska-Yukon Gold Rush Exposition. I was aware of the gold rush since elementary school, but can now place the event amongst the advancement of infrastructure in an urban community.

I also saw my block develop through social changes like the urban demographic, similar to what was discussed regarding building mass suburbia. When the student population experienced an influx of enrollment (whether that was due to the end of WWII and the start of GI Bill implementation, or the recognition of Seattle world-wide through the World’s Fair), the surrounding development had to adapt to match the change in demographics. Retail stores further developed, student housing increased, and pedestrian walkways as well as paved street roads for cars and bus lines were made available.

Overall the creation of this exhibit allowed me to recognize one piece of the larger picture of urban development and my hope is that through your exploration of this exploration you too come to the realization that cities aren’t randomly created from the bottom up. Every building, landscape, infrastructural element has some sort purpose and reason for creation behind it. Be mindful, be thoughtful, and enjoy your exploration of the rest of the University District’s development in the exhibits. 

In Conclusion...