Brief Course DescriptionWeekly lectures and exercises focused on understanding and applying the underlying principles of 3D computer graphics and rendering software. Topics include user interface issues, data creation and modeling, lighting models, smoothing, texture mapping, ray tracing, radiosity, animation, and solid modeling.
This course was developed and is usually taught by Brian Johnson, though it has been taught by a number of other, part-time members of the faculty.
The course is currently offered in Autumn and some Summer quarters. The Autumn offering is taught by myself, other offerings are presented by one of a number of other folks and may have a slightly different emphasis. Consult the university time-schedule for details.
This is where information about the conduct of the course is kept. For information on DOING the work, see other sections of this web site.
Contents of the Admin Area
- Syllabus - schedule, grading, etc.
- Getting Help - Where to go for assistance when the inevitable happens....
- Online Grades - Use these links to see/review your grades.
- Turning in Work - How to turn in your homework.
Handouts (in PDF)
- Syllabus - A PDF of the syllabus handout from day 1 (pages 1-3).
- Schedule - A PDF of the lecture/exercise schedule (syllabus page 4).
- Workbook - A PDF of the exercise workbook (revised 9/27/17)
- Arch 481 Project 8 (pdf) (posted: 11/14/17)
- McNeel's "Level 1" Training Manual (Rhino 5.0) PDF
- McNeel's "Level 2" Training Manual (Rhino 5.0)PDF
- McNeel's "Level 1" Training Manual PDF
- McNeel's "Level 2" Training Manual PDF
- V-Ray for Rhino Manual PDF
- V-Ray for SketchUp Manual PDF
Suggested Projects: Starter Drawings
If you are uncertain what to model, these projects may be used as the subject of your work this quarter. The links below lead to documents that may be saved to disk and printed out for your reference.
- Decatur Cabin - A small cabin designed by a local firm.
- Teahouse (pdf) - A Japanese Tea House.
- Guesthouse (pdf) - A "remodel" proposal.
Last updated: November, 2017