University District Stories

University District Stories

a project of HSTAA 208

Site Report 1

Block 54: University District 47th and Roosevelt Way

View of the University District Volkswagen and Audi auto dealerships from the corner of Roosevelt Way NE and 47th Avenue. University District (Seattle, WA). Taken on January 22nd, 2017.

Block 54: Seattle Fire Station #17

Seattle Fire Department Station No. 17 in the University District on 50th and 11th Avenue. University District (Seattle, WA). Taken on January 22nd, 2017. 

Block 54: Construction of New Apartment Complex

Construction of a new Apartment Complex on 50th and Roosevelt Way NE, also in view of Audi auto dealership in the University District. University District (Seattle, WA). Taken on January 22nd, 2017. 

Block 54: Hand-Drawn Map

Hand-drawn map of area in University District between 50th Street NE and 47th Street NE, and between Roosevelt Way NE and 11th Avenue NE. Drawn and photographed on January 23rd, 2017 by Nicholas Kaley.

Upon visiting the city block of the University District that I have been assigned, one might view the block as nothing of any great significance, but there is more than meets the eye. The block is mostly taken up by two auto dealerships with a Volkswagen shop on the west side on Roosevelt, reflected by the Audi dealership on the east side on 11th Avenue. This seemed rather strange that there would be two competing businesses in the same industry directly next to each other, however it also makes sense due to the one way streets that go in opposing directions of each other with Roosevelt Way heading southbound, and 11th Avenue going north. This may allow for people to drive by and see either shop depending on what street they are on, and is a way for each dealership to present itself and commandeer their respective side of the block.  There are also several apartment complexes that have been recently built or are in the process of being constructed that are on either side of the block. The apartments that are finished appear to be rather new and look to be somewhat expensive. I wonder if these apartment complexes are integral to the upward expansion of the University District to build up rather than expand laterally. On the northern side of the block across from the Audi Dealership and the construction site of a new apartment complex, there is a little convenience store Plaid Pantry, with a café, and Ted Brown Music, a music shop neighboring one another. Next to them is the University District Seattle Fire Station #17. I wonder how long this fire station has been here in the U-District and if the building has gone over any significant remodeling of sorts?

This block is extremely interesting to me, as it appears rather busy with all the construction going on, the apartment complexes, the auto dealerships sitting next to each other, the local businesses on the west side of Roosevelt including HalfPrice Books, a massage spa, and an Italian Restaurant entitled Ristorante Doria – this block has an enormous amount of activity in one area. Although it appears up-to-date in modern architecture, there are some older buildings that were still present including a house that is sandwiched between a modern apartment complex and an older building that looks sort of like a boarding house on 11th Ave. across from the Audi dealership. There is no outstanding odor that ruminates in the area (at least not while I was there in person), but there was an empty building with no business or occupancy and a broken front window sill with graffiti painted on it. The story behind that building looks intriguing. I wonder how long the auto dealerships have been in place on this block. As well as what was here before they were put in place? Were there any other buildings or businesses that occupied this block and what was their significance to the University District neighborhood? I really didn’t have any building-types in mind when I first examined my block, but the more I thought about it, the more I expected such a busy area to have a more substantial grocery outlet besides a convenience store. This is perhaps because the space does not exactly fit a store the size of Safeway for example. And because there are two grocery stores a few blocks away including a Safeway, there may be no need for a big store on this block. I did not expect to see two auto-businesses on the same block so close to one another. Maybe they are partners of some sort? I need to learn more about the property owners on this locations and this will indicate whether this is true or not. Also, I expected some sort of older buildings and streets, but almost every building on the block was modern, and the streets paved. Perhaps this is a pertinent business zone within the University District and might explain the upkeep? 

Site Report 1