University District Stories

Site Report 1: A Deep Read

After receiving my block assignment, I visited my block in order to get a better understanding of what was currently there. My block is located relatively in the center radius of the popular University District Area; bordering between busy 45th street and slower 47th street; as well as being accompanied by 12th Avenue and a one-way street—11th Ave—on its sides. Buildings cover most of the area on the block. Starting north on 12th Ave and 47th Street, there is a new 6-story apartment complex spanning almost half of the block’s area called AVA U District. This apartment building is very clean, visually appealing, and modern. The complex spans both avenues, breaking at the alleyway. Following the complex south, it appears there are a few storefronts on the sidewalk, including a PureBarre Gym, and CorePower Yoga establishment. Continuing south on 12th Avenue, there is a new hotel building called the Residence Inn which includes the recently opened restaurant, Tavern on the corner of the block. Following 45th west towards 11th Ave, there is another building that has a small restaurant, ShareTea, and a Washington State Employees Credit Union branch store. Traveling north on 11th avenue, there is a small parking lot with a bus stop in the middle of the block as well as two older and small buildings that have been blocked off with a city public notice for demolition.  Unfortunately, the public sign has been heavily vandalized so the new additions to the site are currently unknown. Then at the final corner of 47th and 11th avenue, the AVA apartment building reappears with a new 7-Eleven store.

While visiting my block, I tried to observe my surroundings. One key finding was that there is has relatively no green space except for some walkway shrubs and trees on 12th Avenue. Another observation was that my block has more vehicle and human traffic on 12th Ave and 45th street than on 11th Ave and 47th Street. I was intrigued that there were no churches, parks, or gas stations on my block, however, after studying adjacent blocks, I realized all three of these amenities are in short proximity to my block. There is a church directly across from the apartment building on 12th avenue, a gas station a block west of 11th avenue and 45th street, and a park a few blocks north from 47th street. I am surprised by the lack of traditional residential housing on my block and in the vicinity. All around my block are newly built apartment buildings. These observations led me to a few questions, specifically: What buildings were here before? Was this block always retail and residential? Or does it have an industrial past? Due to recent construction and planning, what new additions will be added to this block in the following years? I would like to explore this anomaly by researching public building and city records of the University District to find out what buildings, people, and businesses, and environmental features were present on my block years ago.

AVA U District Apartment Building

A view of the AVA U District Apartment building on my block. Photograph by author, 2/2/17.

Hand Drawn Map of Block 46

A hand drawn map of my block including color codes. Photograph by author, 1/22/17

Sidewalk by 7Eleven Store

A view of the sidewalk and the 7Eleven store on 11th Ave N.Photograph by author, 2-2-17

Vandalized Public Notice Sign

A vandalized Public Notice Sign on 11th Ave. Photograph by author, 2-2-17

Site Report 1: A Deep Read