University District Stories

Site Report 4: The Past and the Future U District

North-South Green Spine

A depiction of the North-South Green Spine. Seattle Parks and Recreation, Department of Planning and Development, University District Partnership. 2015. University District Stories.

University District Land Use Map

A visual showing the types of infastucture of blocks. My block consists of parking, office, and mixed use space. The Department of Planning and Development, “University District Land Use Map,” University District Stories, 2012. 

Proposed Rezone Areas

A layout of the proposed rezones in the U District. Office of Planning and Community Development, “Proposed Rezone Areas,” University District Stories. 2016. 

The University District today is a shifting neighborhood, caught between the past and the future. Much of the infrastructure is decades old or innovatively new. This juxtaposition is forcing the city to efficiently plan for the future and formulate a new identity for the district. One of the main focuses for upcoming renovations is the implementation of more green space within the district. This includes building a pathway—called the North-South Green Spine—between Cowen Park and the waterfront. The pathway “will provide a green corridor for people, cyclists, and vehicles” with “vegetation, trees, rain gardens, and other green features” to enhance the pedestrian experience (Seattle Parks, 22). A portion of my block, 12th Avenue, has been selected for this project and has undergone construction to improve pavement and sidewalks.  After visiting 12th Avenue of my block, I can see the completed improvement in the sidewalk condition and the green space around the pathway. Another focus for the future is to create more affordable housing in the area. Housing costs have consistently been an issue for many residents since most are full-time students at the University of Washington. One way to combat this issue is to rezone a large portion of the district and force builders to “set aside affordable housing, or pay into a city fund” that would be used “to create affordable housing for lower income residents” (Office of Planning, 5). My block is included in this proposed rezone. Currently, there are two new apartment buildings on my block so this proposed rezone would not affect them. However, there is a land use action to erect another new apartment building on my block. Since this development would be new, and completed following the proposed rezoning, it would be affected by new regulations.

Looking back onto the history of my block, it was consistently residential and small business from 1920 to the present. In 2012, my block consisted of buildings with a mix of retail/ service and office use and parking space. However, my block has become very residential. There are “newer housing developments in mixed-use buildings” with the largest proportion being apartments (University District Urban Design Framework, 23). These buildings reflect the previous history of my block as well as foreshadow the future. I believe my block will continue to be residential and small business oriented until the entire U District is transformed in the following centuries. With regards to a student-centered district, I believe that a city of that nature will be rich with activities, nightlife, retail, affordable housing, and restaurants. The U District can become student-centered if it follows global trends of urbanization which include economic competitiveness, cultural collaboration, and curative industry. 

Works Cited

Nielsen, Roy G. UniverCity: The City within City, the Story of the University District. Seattle: U Lions Foundation, 1986. PDF.

Office of Planning and Community Development, “U District Urban Design,”. October 6, 2016. Accessed March 16, 2017. 

Seattle Parks and Recreation, Department of Planning and Development, University District Partnership , “University District Parks Plan 2015 Update". 2015. Accessed March 16, 2017.

The Department of Planning and Development, “University District Stories,”. June 2012. Accessed March 16, 2017