University District Stories

University District Stories

a project of HSTAA 208

Introduction

A look at a tiny piece of land inside of a city can surprisingly tell you a lot about an entire region’s history! I was specifically asked to look at block number 69 which resides Between 9th AVE. NE and Roosevelt Way NE, and NE 55th ST. and NE 53rd ST. Seattle as a whole was developed at many varying times. For instance, my block was one of the last patches of undeveloped land for a while. While the city of Seattle made its incline to a more powerful area, the University District stayed behind its course with the caption, “A City Within a City”. Although the U District is not filled will monstrous skyscrapers yet, it always had its own booming youthful culture within itself with a bustling center and rows of middle class residential housing at its edges or essentially its own suburbs. As I took a look at a middle class residential area, it was easy to see the priority of maintaining historical charm throughout the city because of the small amounts of change that occurred since the early 1920’s to now. Although much of this will change in the near future, I have no doubt that much of the new developments will be kept in true University District character. 

Introduction