Buying Local: Can Everyone Do It?

One of the solutions that Pollan gives in his book for eating better and living a more healthful lifestyle is to buy locally from farmers markets rather than from supermarkets. Initially, upon reading this, I felt as if I could make this change in my own life, as I’ve shopped at farmers markets in the past. However what Pollan and I didn’t account for how everyone else in the US and the world would be able to do this, and that bothers me greatly. First off, produce from farmers markets is much more expensive than produce found in supermarkets. Expecting low-income families to buy produce at a larger price than the same produce (that’s cheaper) at supermarkets would be delusional. Second, supermarkets are more plentiful and accessible than farmers markets. Most supermarkets are open 24 hours a day, while farmers markets will only operate during the day and close before sundown. Given that the average working American works a 40-hour work week, where is there time for the average American to fit in a trip to the farmers market after finishing up work for the day? Lastly, even if one can afford to buy from farmers markets, and has the time to go there, this food still needs to be prepared. In a country controlled by the fast-food industry, people are left to balance convenience with time. Would you rather grab a hot meal on your way home from work that takes minutes to prepare, or go home and spend an hour or so preparing, eating, and then cleaning up your food? Given the harsh 40-hour workweek of the average American, we are likely to choose the former. As much as making Pollan’s changes like this sound great, the reality is that they are impossible in American society.