Contemplative Practice

In this course, contemplative practices have taught me to be mindful when eating, and to truly appreciate the food that is in front of me. The contemplative practice that stuck with me the most was when we were handed a piece of cacao and a piece of chocolate, and ate it while watching the documentary of it being harvested on the Ivory Coast.

Cacao is a huge commodity, and contributes US market and it is something that many people consume and take for granted. I did not realize how the chocolate bars that we eat on a daily basis are such a luxury to other people. After watching the farmers try the chocolate bar for the first time, I could not help but notice the smile on their faces and the way they described tasting it for the first time. When comparing the cacao bit to the small square of chocolate, it is amazing that something so bitter can be turned into something so creamy and sweet. I was able to observe the texture change from the cacao to the bar, and they each gave a different sensation. The cacao represents the raw and wholeness of the food we eat, and the chocolate bar signified how our food becomes processed.

Contemplative practices are important, and I look forward to continuing to be mindful and have an appreciation of the food that is in front of me.